Thread: 67S ignition options?

67S ignition options?

my 67S came with the following installed as seen in the photo.

What would be correct, and more importantly (to me) would be visually pleasing and reliable?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tcsracing1; 01-26-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Yikes.

You will get a few people telling you that a CDI is required. I've used Bosch BHKZ, MSD6AL, Allison-Crane. I don't think a CDI is required and for the last couple years have operated exclusively on the original Kettering ignition.

In the old days people used to complain about the plugs fouling, but with unleaded gas and the limited miles we put on our cars, I haven't expeirenced this (and my mixture is around 10:1 )

Using the original ignition means sourcing an original Bosch coil with 2.1 ohm primary resistance, a set of points and an original ballast resistor with 0.9 ohm resistance.

Read this; http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...electrics.html

and This http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=inductance

You want it to look like this:

1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Wasn't that in The Green Mile?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I absolutely appreciate 304065's attention to originality and detail. However, I would at least put a Pertronix trigger in. When my engine was dyno'd by Rothsport after it was rebuilt, the first runs were done with points because Jeff didn't have a Pertronix for an iron dist in stock. The next day the Pertronix came in, they installed it, re-ran it on the dyno and it made 4 hp more. Jeff has proven this on multiple occasions. Not having to ever fiddle with points again is enough for me though.

On my car I have an MSD box painted satin black and hidden on the firewall. Wiring sheathed and a MSD coil painted to look like Bosch, Pertronix trigger. The spark this system puts out is truly impressive. I've open the gaps a bit on my plugs as well. The shortcomings of the 2.0L S combustion chamber are well known. It's amazing how much better the car idles with this setup. Not concours for sure, but worth it for me.Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  112.9 KB
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

You desperately need a facet fuel pump and a knock off Bendix decal too BTW!
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    I absolutely appreciate 304065's attention to originality and detail. However, I would at least put a Pertronix trigger in.
    Agree on Pertronix. Best money I spent for my '67.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

member #1515
    With CDI the points have such low current that I wonder if the pertronixs makes that big a difference.
    Maybe not original, but for most, adding CDI sure helps these cars run smoother.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

The Green Mile? You lost me. I mean, if we were on a desert island we could rewrite the script to "Caddyshack" in about two days. But "The Green Mile" was set in the 1930's and a check of the Internet Movie Car Database (who knew there was such a thing?) shows a bunch of Ford trucks.

Just to keep it lively around here and keep the debate going . . .

If you're getting a HP bump due to Pertronix it's because the distributor is causing spark scatter, i.e. the ignition timing is varying from cylinder to cylinder. The pertronix itself is a hall-effect trigger with a solid state switch for the points that can handle about seven amps of current. It's intended to be used with a low primary resistance inductive coil, so that the field builds up quickly due to the higher current. . . and then discharges like a regular coil, giving you a fat inductive spark. The faster charging allows you to build up 30mJ or more in the coil in between ignition events at high RPM. The limitation of the Pertronix is you can't see when it's broken, unless you carry a portable oscilloscope in the car (which I do. . . does PCA give a Nerd award?)

If you're using MSD you have a different problem-- like the Bosch CDI, there's plenty of time to charge the capacitor in between shots, but the opposite issue is now present-- when the Thyristor fires the capacitor dumps its energy in a VERY short window-- so you end up with very short spark duration-- hence MSD's crutch of multiple sparks below 3000 rpm. Except that the second, third, fourth, whatever spark after the first one aren't exactly correct timing, right? AND you have nonzero failure rate (although both are very good in terms of real world reliability/using them as a nutcracker)

To each his own, but for road trips, carry a set of points and a capacitor and a coil in the spares box. . . and know how to use them. . .

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    The Green Mile?
    The electric chair.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    The electric chair.
    Shocking, sir. Your sense of humor just Hertz sometimes.