Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out Of Africa - The African Rally Carrera 2.7 RS

Out Of Africa - The African Rally Carrera 2.7 RS

I rarely bring one of my feature stories to your attention, but this one is truly special.

Many of you know Uwe Kurzenberger and his wife Gabriele Mahler, who are both active members of the German RS Registry. They brought one of their famous 911s to RRV, we met at dinner in Carmel, and the rest is history.

Their 1973 Carrera RS #9113600288 is currently featured in a 11-page feature in PCA's Panorama January issue. This famous RS is exactly as it ran when it finished second in the '74 African Rally piloted by Bjorn Waldegård and co-driver Hans Thorszelius.

That would be enough, but I decided to include a history of all Porsche's safari rally efforts in East Africa from 1969 to 1974 in this piece. The stories are priceless, and the text would not have happened without the input of several people including Jürgen Barth.

Thanks as always to Pano's creative director Richard Baron and editor Amy Skogstrom for their incredible collaboration with my photos and text.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

member #1515
    I just got my Pano and that was a really nice piece.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

A really good read... thanks, Randy!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Really enjoyed that article and seeing the africa rally car in pics. Very Cool. Thanks.

Gary Cox
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

1958 356A Speedster, Silver/Black
    1967 912, Aga Blue/Black

Fascinating read!
    Was there any discussion on how the factory determined the optimum rally ride height?
    I assume the RS front chin spoiler delete was for ground clearance reasons, but the duck tail remained.
    Was ducktail aerodynamic characteristics still critical in this road rally configuration?

Name:  RS Rally 1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  65.1 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

member #1515
    Probably just for marketing as all the racks on the roof destroy any airflow to the duck.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I think on that course the duck was rarely ever a factor. Tho I'd imagine it ever ran stages with the rack in place.

Thumbs up

GREAT article and photos Randy........

I seem to remember us exchanging a few beers with Uwe, Gabriele, and Kafer at the Cantina during Rennsport..........
    REALLY nice and fun folks........

Great read and great memories bud..........
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Read the article twice as soon as I unwrapped it. Super job by Randy. I thought Pano might slide off the cliff after Pete left, but it appears to have not. There has been interesting articles right along.

Another goodie this month:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187