Thread: Levels of "patina" on black grills and emblems

Levels of "patina" on black grills and emblems

So here's something I've not been able to figure out. The black grills use on 72/73 models would turn a purplish hue when they faded. I know this much because I have one. Would those grills eventually fade to silver over time?
    Now the Porsche letters and the emblems on the deck lid. Would they also fade in the same manner? Would they fade to purplish and then to silver or do they fade directly to Silver?

member #1515
    As far as I know, they are anodized aluminum, on my 73 they are purplish, maybe in another 44 years they'll be silver.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

So you're referring to your Porsche letters and 911S emblem? I have a set of Porsche letters and a 911T emblem but they look like they're going directly from black to Silver. Were the originals different than the new ones so they fade differently?
    The emblems I have we're not original to my car. I purchased them used.

Gearby, they fade from black to purplish to a satin silver color over time.
    '66 911 - Light Ivory | Early '66 with Solex Carbs
    '72 911T - Aubergine originally | now Bahia Red | "S" options | 2.2S P&C's

Even the new Repro ones?

Mine still has a faint purple hue to it but it looks pretty darn satin silver/gray to me. I dig it. And for some reason the 911S scripting is darker than the individual PORSCHE letters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

The initial availability of black trim, including the door frames and window surrounds, was anodized, which faded as noted. Eventually became painted, I think around '78-ish.
    The decklid emblems became plastic.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

So I guess my last question is, does anybody know if the new Porsche letters that you can buy from Stoddard or Sierra Madre are anodized black aluminum letters, or are they painted black aluminum letters? Has anybody purchased these letters a while back and had them fade? Or are they too new for that?