Thread: outer door handles

outer door handles

I have my drivers side door apart. I removed the door handle to clean & lube. I took the locking lever off the handle & did not watch/see how the torsion spring is installed. How do I fit the spring an install the locking lever.

Thanks
    Tom

Not sure what your problem is. I took this picture and made this note years ago when working on the door handle.. it may give you some clues.

"When reassembling the handle after replacing the trigger, use a clamp to hold the long spring-loaded rod in position while you bolt that mechanism into the handle. Be careful when disassembling…the spring under the screw holding the lever (which engages the rabbit ears) could fly off into the ether. Also, the cylinder will fall apart if you don’t put the key in before removing... Removing lock mechanism requires pulling window which a hassle, so I left it in.
    Again..."Passenger side handle was balky; couldn’t squeeze it enough to release latch....Pulled handle, replaced trigger (holes well worn) with new aluminum unit. After installing new trigger, lock still balky, barely releasing the door after squeezing too tightly. See pic which shows how pushing on rabbit ear piece at top left from left slides pin in, releases the latch, & may release the spring-loaded lower spring so it kicks the door away from the jamb. Used an L’ shape allen head wrench ‘to pull/bend the latch mechanism (with rabbit ears) a bit toward me from the outside. Not enough. Then JBWelded scrap of 0035” aluminum to latch rabbit ears, allowing handle to push the latch farther than it did... better but not great...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Name:  IMG_0996.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  59.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0997.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  47.6 KB

This is the spring I can't figure out how to install

Thanks
    Tom

The spring is the least of your worries. It looks like your handle is bad.
    Do a search using the word "innie". I'll post a picture of the spring install later today. It is very simple

Regards.

Jim

Here is a good handle with the trigger and the push rod in place. Your handle looks like you won't be able to secure the push rod to the main handle due to corrosion or just plain wear between the two parts. It may just be the pictures, but I see lousy "innie" door handles all the time. The spring should be self explanatory after looking at the pictures.

Regards

Jim
    PS: Just be careful when you put the spring in the lever. It can jump out of there and hide for an eternity until you get it in the handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 02-09-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks Jim, finally got some time to put it back together.