Thread: Swapping in an SC steering rack and front suspension - question on turbo tie rods

Swapping in an SC steering rack and front suspension - question on turbo tie rods

Good morning - hope everyone is having a good week.

For a '66 if you are swapping in an SC front suspension including an SC rack that has turbo tie rods does anyone know of you need to remove the gold spacer? I believe so but wanted to ask here. I did search without finding the answer so hope to add to the knowledge base here. Thanks.

I think you asked this on Pelican

The large steel washers aren't spacers they are stops to prevent the rack from travelling to far and if you miss them out you can jam the tyres into the inner wheel arch. in the UK this would mean that the car would fail its annual technical inspection.

If the rack travel wasn't limited by the bodywork then it could break the pinion at the extremes of travel but I am sure that the bodywork will prevent this.

On the standard rack this function is provided by the large diameter part that located the gaiter using a garter spring.

IMHO a car without this rack stops is potentially dangerous. I realise that using full lock at high speed is unlikely but it is the unexpected that causes serious crashes.

Please don't leave the stops out it is not 'best practice'

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    I think you asked this on Pelican

The large steel washers aren't spacers they are stops to prevent the rack from travelling to far and if you miss them out you can jam the tyres into the inner wheel arch. in the UK this would mean that the car would fail its annual technical inspection.

If the rack travel wasn't limited by the bodywork then it could break the pinion at the extremes of travel but I am sure that the bodywork will prevent this.

On the standard rack this function is provided by the large diameter part that located the gaiter using a garter spring.

IMHO a car without this rack stops is potentially dangerous. I realise that using full lock at high speed is unlikely but it is the unexpected that causes serious crashes.

Please don't leave the stops out it is not 'best practice'
    Hi Chris - thanks for the note back. I actually asked on the 912 forum, not the Bird. Thanks for the clarification - I will mount it up and report back, looks like the tie rod ends should provide enough room to adjust it after some test fittings.

Do you have the original 1966 struts?

If you do then you will need longer TREs otherwise you will end up with to few threads engaged.

A Rover 400 Track Rod end works and is very cost effective.

If you use the SC Struts and control arms the camber plates on the strut will be incorrect for your shell. They will bolt up but they will restrict caster/camber adjustment.

I would suggest you fit the camber plate from the 1966 car if you are changing the strut.

Do you have the original 1966 struts?
    I do, but I am swapping them out for SC ones.

A Rover 400 Track Rod end works and is very cost effective.
    Rover, is that a car? (I ran and SD1 for a while that is now a LeMons race car. Fun stuff).

If you use the SC Struts and control arms the camber plates on the strut will be incorrect for your shell. They will bolt up but they will restrict caster/camber adjustment.

I would suggest you fit the camber plate from the 1966 car if you are changing the strut.
    Fantastic info, I did not know that. I have the original ones, will use them.

Thank you Chris.