Thread: sunroof drive gear opening/cleaning?

sunroof drive gear opening/cleaning?

Hi All,

I have a sunroof 1970 911E and I would like to clean my sunroof drive gear (the thing attached to the motor that drives the cables). Just cleaned my window motors which made a big difference. Is there a way to open the drive gear. Looks like it has been pressed together. Don't want to ruin things, but cleaning my window motor/drive also meant drilling holes and tapping new wire.

Does anybody have done this before? If so, would you please be so kind to point me in the right direction. Should not be very difficult, but I do not know how to open the gear thing.

Regards, frank

Hi Frank,

To answer my own question: yes this can be done!! On the back of the gear there is one small metal plate (1" x 1/3 ") which is removed easily. This enables me to clean the inside of the gear. The big round cap can be removed easily with a screwdriver. Please be aware not to use too much pressure and deform the plate. After removing this piece, cleaning is even more easy. After the cleaning just put everything back in place and the gear will move much easier and harpy without any resistance.

Frank

Banned
    A helpful soul and a sense of humor. A gift these days.

Thank you.

Let's see if we can keep the Frank theme going here.

Hi Frank,

Thanks and likewise. You have putten a smile on my face. Perhaps it's the first name that does the trick?

Have a great day.

Banned
    Frank's my name; smiles are my game.

One thing to keep in mind when disassembling: There's a seal/spacer on the half moon shaft that's very fragile. Be gentle with it.