Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge restoration choices- any "updated" thoughts?

Gauge restoration choices- any "updated" thoughts?

Any recent thoughts/experiences on quality of work/turnaround for gauge restoration? Looking for an alternative to Palo Alto and North Hollywood I refuse to use after a bad experience. I saw a post from a few years back about LivefromNY having used Seattle Speedometer with good results- any others out there use them recently?

Thanks,
    Marco
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

I've used North Hollywood several times over the years. In fact I just received my entire set of '68 gauges from NH. The did an excellent job of cleaning, calibrating, converting to LED and an quartz clock. They put in new dial faces because of fading since '68. They also calibrated the oil temperature in degrees which requires a new sender unit, which they provided. The only problem is that they are busy. It took about 3 months to do the work and send them back. The delay didn't bother me since my car will spend the next year getting a bare metal paint job and a complete new interior, all to factory spec.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

Wanted gauges restored recently on my 70E. Always have used NHS with fantastic results. Currently they have a long wait time ( I was told 5 months). Since I was born with the impatient gene, I looked intp Seattle Speedometer and PAS. Seattle would not return 2 messages, and their website contact link for an email is inoperative. PASS

Went with PAS( against my better judgment) and I will tell you...NEVER again. Speedo was not calibrated properly, and tach. oscillated after restoration. Sent back for correction and it's still wrong.
    NHS is now repairing and correcting.

Moral of the story? Go with NHS
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

So, you've had a bad experience with both P A Speedo and N H ?? Hmmm........

Anyway, been using P A Speedo since 1970....always deliver.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    So, you've had a bad experience with both P A Speedo and N H ?? Hmmm........

Anyway, been using P A Speedo since 1970....always deliver.
    Brian, if you were referring to me, to be clear I've never used PA Speedo and was looking for viable alternatives to it that I could look into. NH I've dealt with in the past- first time many years back was good but last time around a bit of a horror show and no longer wish to give them business.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

gamin
    I have in the past used North Hollywood with excellent results. Had an engine fire in the 70 recently and all of the instruments were smoke and water damaged. I looked for an east coast alternative to NH and was pleased to find Nichols Speedometer in Greensboro NC, just a short drive away. I was able to deliver and pick up in person and speak to the technicians, a definite plus. They have been working on VDO instruments for more than 30 years. Don't believe they do much custom work. I am very pleased with their work. All the gauges look fantastic and are guaranteed.Turn around was a couple of weeks. Well worth looking into if you don't want to wait many months. Prices competitive.

I used NHS a few times with great results but the last time I used them it took over 6 months and I called several times over that period to follow up. They said they had to find them as they couldn't locate them in the shop even after verifying they had them right after I first shipped them. They used to get them done for me in a few weeks. A lot has changed.
    72S, 72T now ST

I too have used NH a few times..... seems like the prices have doubled at least.... and the service has gone down Many have told me to try out Seattle Speedometer. I will give them a shot next time.
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

I have had close to 100 gauges restored by Buzz at Seattle Speedometer with excellent results. Highly recommended.

Some of you questioned the turn around time at NHS. I sent my 5 gauges to them on November 21, 2016. Just got a call today from NHS to say my gauges were finished, so that was roughly 3 months.
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250