Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for value of kpz rims

question for value of kpz rims

Dear all,

i do have the possibility to buy a set of kpz rims, 5,5" 68 built, chromed.
    the chrome is nice, no pitting or else.

the seller wants an offer from me, so maybe you can give me an idea of value as these do not appear so often in the market.
    thank you in advance
    best regards
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    Dear all,

i do have the possibility to buy a set of kpz rims, 5,5" 68 built, chromed.
    the chrome is nice, no pitting or else.

the seller wants an offer from me, so maybe you can give me an idea of value as these do not appear so often in the market.
    thank you in advance
    best regards
    Stoddards is asking US$ 425 (€ 410) for SIC-361-022-20 15x5½-inch Disc Brake Steel Wheel so it's reasonable to think an original wheel in excellent condition is worth a bit more.

On the other hand, there's a nice looking 15x4½ 8/63 Lemmerz disk brake wheel for sale right now at the 356 Registry for just US$250/obo (€ 235).

Not too long ago, I sold a pair of early 1965 Lemmerz wheels that needed rechroming and new 15x4½ rims (they'd been converted to 15x5½) for US$ 200 (€ 188) each, figuring a finished wheel at about US$ 400. I think trdking might have gotten a good deal...

I'll estimate a really nice, original 15x5½-inch chrome wheel's worth something like US$ 450 to US$ 500 (€ 423 to € 470). I kind of think the seller at the 356 Registry's undervaluing his wheel but--depending upon how you feel about the seller--you could use it to justify offering something like US$ 250 (€ 235).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Jim,
    perfectly explained and a good argumentation chain lined up.
    thank you very much....

best regards from bavaria
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Neunelf Is correct. He gave me a great deal on the Lemmerz. I have had them rechromed and they are beautiful! Cost of 160 $ each in bulk (set) But that is Lemmerz. KPZ is not as desirable for some reason. I had an early 65 KPZ perfectly rechromed and posted on this site at $500 with zero interest or takers. I would offer him 175$ for each wheel and I believe after rechroming you are in the ball park IMO 250 + 160 = 410$ is too high for KPZ

I had now contact with the seller.
    His idea is min. 3K EUR as he bought them years ago on an european auction.
    They are with "old" Pirelli Cinturato tires on it...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

he is crazy. Old tires are worthless. about 3years ago I paid $800 for a set of 4 NOS date matched chrome wheels. Maybe i was lucky. I just bought a set of 5 4.5 x 15 that needed some work for 1200. $250-300 is all they are worth if they need any kind of work.

Where he got them is completely irrelevant unless he bought them from Prof Porsche with a signed receipt.

~J~
    air cooled only

There is a 5 1/2" set for sale on eBay that look near perfect for $2699, I have no affiliation.
    Item # 112173192095

Chroming in E. Ontario is c. $500 per wheel... would love to know where I could get it done for $180...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Chroming in E. Ontario is c. $500 per wheel... would love to know where I could get it done for $180...
    I believe these are the folks who charged US$ 160:

Perfect Custom Made Wheels
    16516 S Western Ave
    Gardena, Ca. 90247

(310) 819-6752

They were formerly Bolton's Classic Wheels. A lot of folks spoke highly of Bolton's (particularly at 356 Talk) but they've had dissatisfied customer, too.

They'll probably be at the LitMeet first Saturday of March.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

We sell lots of wheels, and 90% of them go directly to Bolton AKA Perfect Motion for restoration. Their prices are really good and the work brings no complaints. I prefer to sell wheels to people and have them go to a restorer who knows these wheels than someone who doesn't. Some of the only complaints I've ever gotten about wheels I've sold have been when they send them to the wrong person to restore them.

--Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!