Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalextric Thread

Scalextric Thread

Although Hornby Hobbies offered an extensive line of trains it was their Scalextric brand of model race cars that got me to sell my Lionel Penn Central layout to a neighbor and go all in for early 60s vintage slot cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Scalextric

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    Although Hornby Hobbies offered an extensive line of trains it was their Scalextric brand of model race cars that got me to sell my Lionel Penn Central layout to a neighbor and go all in for early 60s vintage slot cars.
    Wow Flunder, quite a collection :-)

We had a Scalextric set in the 60s which is long gone, but I've managed to collect a few pieces just for old memories sake.
    Maybe the mods can break off your post & photos into its own Scalextric or vintage slot car thread, so it doesn't hijack the model train discussion.

DSCN0800.jpg

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Scalextric

George getting a buzz...

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Scalextric Spyders

here`s some of the 550 and a 718 Spyders.......RSK may not be Scalextric
    Last edited by acoupe; 02-12-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Re: Beatles Photos

John Lennon was a huge fan of Scalextric, and would bring a set with him on tours.
    He had a large layout at Kenwood in the mid 60s.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Goodwood connection

Hornby Hobbies, the manufacturer of Scalextric, was based in Margate, just down the road from Goodwood. Many of the buildings at Goodwood had been constructed by the RAF during the second war when a squadron of Supermarine Spifires used the estate as its base. After the war the BARC adapted them for use on its new race course. These old RAF buildings, re-purposed for sports car track use at Goodwood, served as the inspiration for the early Scalextric accessories. Other on-track and track side accessories like the chicane, hay bales, hedgerows, wicker barriers and the picket fences all appear in the photos of the Goodwood race meetings in the early 1960s.

The track and its buildings fell into disrepair and deteriorated for decades until the Goodwood revival breathed new life into the facilities. Today the old RAF sheds look as pristine as these old Scalextric accessories. Every year now the 550 Spyders, 250s and Daytona coupes slide though the famous chicane and let their exhaust echo off the control tower.
    Last edited by Flunder; 02-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Early 911S Registry

Scalextric

John Whitmore, Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark and Colin Chapman.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Nice pictures and superb track Flunder!
    Here's mine.

Vintage Scalextric

A vintage Scalextric clip on YouTube from a 1966 episode of the British television series Danger Man (broadcast as Secret Agent in the US)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0jrXF5yMCo

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Light bulb

Lorenzo
    That is a very nice collection of (hard to find) Spyders and my compliments for keeping your track so tidy - a great looking course.

acoupe
    I think I am beginning to understand why the Spyders are hard to find.

Jon B
    Where are you finding all those historical celebrity pics? Scalextric really was a 60s phenomenon. I wonder if there is a good picture that you have found of James Hunt with Scalextric - given the marriage breakup scene that featured Scalextric in the film Rush. BTW I envy the red shark nose in that nicely composed pic.

Attached pic is of the "light bulb" coming into the infield straight. As I recall the this version of the cafe building is a Scalextric de France item. We spent untold hours downstairs at the track when my kids were younger.
    Early 911S Registry