Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS Press Receiver or red thumb

RS Press Receiver or red thumb

Having ordered M418 (retractable front seat belts) 11/72 in an RS, which receiver was build in?`

One of the press receivers
    Name:  IMG_9476.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  132.9 KB

or a red thumb `version?

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Should be push button with no electrics. Red thumb was for static 3 point belts. G

Red thumb with reels was an option from 1970  on Euro delivered cars.

Dave

Name:  euro 70 option.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  61.7 KB

The main question is if this option was still in MY 73 out of the US and Canada a Autoflug/Red thump Repa Set up only.
    1.1.72 US and 1.7.72 CAN cars came with Press receivers, no doubt.

Hi Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Having ordered M418 (retractable front seat belts) 11/72 in an RS, which receiver was build in?`
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    The main question is if this option was still in MY 73 out of the US and Canada a Autoflug/Red thump Repa Set up only.
    1.1.72 US and 1.7.72 CAN cars came with Press receivers, no doubt.
    Bit confused between the first and second question in posts. Particularly as it initially seemed you were asking about RS model and production date specifically? Then about 73 seatbelt North America generally?

Other than the few RS exceptions ordered by racers etc that required notorized disclaimers about not using them on road, I wasn't aware model year 73 RS was actually sold in USA -- therefore I don't follow train of thought between your two questions?

Is your question about RS model equipment in 11/72 or what was available and fitted in USA market for 11/72 911 production TES generally ?

If it is about belt equipment fitted to particular RS chassis built in 11/72, a vin that was known to be shipped to a USA customer despite this geographical market restriction, then suspect this was a somewhat niche situation with a niche answer. Presumably if one of the RS by exception the normal local USA market 911 spec and road regs for 73 USA equipment didn't necessarily apply to these examples back then.

Another point is to consider is the location of seatbelt anchor bolts in chassis of the first series RS. Discussed elsewhere. In the case of the 11/72 production date RS you mention it would be early in the first 500 RS series ( example would have been ordered by first wk October 72 for customer to have got hold of a November made example). I'd be curious how Many of those 1972 built first series RS originally had the retract option, rather than static given the fixing point. My guess would be later on RS started to get more retractable or this varied by market.

Seatbelts were only just be coming compulsory equipment in some countries around 1972 and we're certainly not required to be worn by law. For example in model year 72 and even model year 73 in the UK seat belts were often a £12.50 per side option above and beyond the base car base price. Probaly not relevant to your situation if another country with LHD but presumably variations exist in other regions/markets?

My own slightly later 12/72 DOB RS has original non-repa brand KANGOL with correct date stamp and BSI kite-marked. This equipment is consistent with a number of other model year 73 UK (c16/EG) spec RS and 911 TES cars that I know were original fitted with Kangol -- suggesting in 72/3 importer or dealer fit in UK not always factory.

Another one of those "it varies by geography" early 911 things apparently.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-20-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Hi Steve,

I create a RS clone on a 11/72 base.
    Anchor points on Autoflug and Repa are identical.
    Speaking of 1.1.72 on Reel in the US, my statement is for all 911T/E/S.

Hi Dirk

I see.

I was referring to mounting holes in original early RS chassis and where/how belts mount. RS have various thinner panels and some little differences; mounting holes for RS were discussed elsewhere on forum before including pictures. Not sure about later RS regarding seat belts.

Depending on how faithful your want your replica, by picking 11/72 production date to emulate you might be referencing the first 120-130ish examples built which have not options features that were changed as model evolved over the three series.

Arguably copying one of the third series RS -- at least those without mods like engine case and rear suspension mods-- might be easier to emulate as these examples were more like the equivalent series production cars in both construction and the assembly process.

Your choice of course.

Good luck with project

HtH

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Hi Steve,

Yes a early Rs, the Viperngreen 0129.
    With M419,....

Which receivers has your car?
    BR

Dirk

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Dirk,

All your receivers came from a US/CDN car, ROW did not use the fasten seatbelt buzzer. You can see trhat they cut the wires in the RHS pair. That pair is common for MY1972, smooth plastic and flat head screw. The REPAmatik reels for the MY 1972 US/CDN version has the same flat head screws on the plastic cover. The LHS receiver were typically for the MY1973 cars, now with Phillips head screw on both REPAmatik reels and receiver with textured finish. For a 11/72 build car I would go for the LHS receivers but there is no guarantee it was like around the end of 1972. Since you are building a RS clone so you would have ROW REPAmatik reels with orange tracer webbing and funny enough, all 1972 or 1973 REPAmatik reels I have seen had Phillips head screws. If you choose 3 point fixed seat belts than the same belts can be used as were in the T, E or S for M472 Touring or the 914/6 belts for the M471 version but then you definitely want the mounting point on the tunnel for the receiver with the piece of belt (and on the rocker when you use the RS buckets...).

Mfg, Cees

Cees,

yes, these are all US/CDN receivers that my photo shows. I have orange tracer webbing reels, but never had ROW Press Receiver in my hands.
    I tried a Rändelschraubensitz to built up a M471, but it was too uncomfortable for a 6 feet 7 guy like me. I further liked the idea of red thumb Receivers with the 914 belts at the fronts, but with the S-seats there had been only normal static or reels.
    I will go for a M472 interior.
    I like the idea of using red thumb Receivers and autoflugs, cause the optically match the rear seat belts (yes, there had nevver been rear seat belts 69-73, I know. but my wife has ordered for the Kids, so happy wife,......)

The question is still: Did the factory still use Autoflug reels in 1972?`

BR
    Dirk