Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the BEST early 911 engine rebuilder in the US?

Who is the BEST early 911 engine rebuilder in the US?

I am doing a high-end restoration on a 1970 911E and want the drivetrain to be built to absolute mint condition. I am prepared to crate the drivetrain and ship it to whoever in the country. My goal: concours quality but also some added performance internally (but nothing too crazy aggressive to make it non-stock anymore). I'm aware there's a lot of restorers out there that can make an engine look like jewelry but it is also very important to have someone build the engine that can fine tune and make sure all the components mesh together and work together, rather than just assembling an engine using all clean and plated parts but doesn't run optimally. So I would imagine a builder with all sorts of tersting equipment, dynos, etc. Keep in mind this is an MFI car so the builder would have to have a good understanding how to tune this especially if I do some upgrades to the engine (including perhaps a modified camshaft, etc). So far I've done some very basic research and found that Supertec in CA and Rothsport in Oregon would be good candidates. Again, looking for the best in the business. I would appreciate all inputs, leads. Feel free to PM me as well. Excited to start this project!

It will be interesting to see who steps up to the plate to take the title of "BEST EARLY 911 ENGINE REBUILDER IN THE USA"...

I have known Henry at Supertec and Jeff at Rothsport for many years. Not a bad place to start.

Magnus took his engine to Germany to build???

If you're willing to ship to Europe, there's Matthias Hoeing from Mezgerwerk/Wickedsixes to consider. He's the one that built Magnus' engine, not that that means anything IMO. But he did build my fathers' SC hotrod engine and was very helpful and great to deal with.

But to be honest I think there should be enough capable shops in the US to tackle a high quality rebuild.
    Early S member #1969

1987 Porsche Carrera 3.2
    1986 BMW E30 M3
    1971 Porsche 911T

Aaron Burnham at Burnham Performance is one of the best. He is a former employee of Supertec and has been praised by Henry on this forum as one of the best. He doesn't have a dyno yet, but knows how to set up MFI engines.

Burnham Performance, 1071 Avenida Acaso Suite D, Camarillo. Ca. 805 240-6931

http://www.burnhamperformance.com/home.php

member #1515
    There is certainly more than one excellent engine builder. Mine is Bob Jones at Jones Autowerkes in San Antonio, Texas, 210-657-1111. He also knows MFI backwards and forwards.
    Find one of the recommended ones close to you.
    You don't need to go to Germany.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I build my own engines, but Aaron Burnham did my throttle bodies for my E engine. I can tell you the engines he showed me and his level of detail was very very impressive. If I couldn't do my own, I would definitely consider Aaron.
    1969 911 E #824

I think there are lots of choices. It boils down to the quality of the outsourcing that builders use (cylinders, case line bore etc) or some of the racing shops will have that all in house. Beyond that, high quality parts are available to all and you just need to make decisions on the tensioners, use of time serts etc. based on the degree of originality you want.

Then just get used to shiny.

Name:  IMG_9447.JPG.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  102.5 KB

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

When you say "Concours quality" what exactly do you mean? Do you want to win a concours with it?

There are engine builders that are named above that take all the fasteners, for example, and have them zinc plated with a yellow conversion coating. While this looks good and saves time and money, it's not what the Factory did. . . so you won't end up with a "concours" engine. And before any of the inevitable blowback arrives I would hasten to add that the above approach was actually told to me personally by the engine builder himself.

I like Peter Dawe for bullet proof race engines. I also like Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland.

If you want "concours" you will have to define what that means to you, do all the research, tell the engine builder precisely what you want, then make sure it comes out that way. I can't think of an engine builder who you can call and say "Make me a 70 MFI motor that will be exactly as original" that will pass the judging test on the first try.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I can't think of an engine builder who you can call and say "Make me a 70 MFI motor that will be exactly as original" that will pass the judging test on the first try.
    I can, but you won't like the wait.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

member #1515
    Three samples:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs