Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 2.2T ROW - paint to factory spec

Question 1970 2.2T ROW - paint to factory spec

hi guys, need some expert knowledge, going to paint a 1 owner 1970 2.2T targa, 65.000 original Kms (45.000 miles), original color burgundy red, but theres some doubts:

1 - engine bay is now color black with stone guard protect, was this original? or is it red?
    2 - under the fenders and wheel arches....black with stone guard, was it red? should I go red?
    3 - trunk...also black at this point...was it like this or was red?

thanks in advance for your help!!

thanks!!

1) black w no/kind of stone guard sprayed over body color (base, matt) but its very lightly sprayed as body color is shining though
    2) black with stone guard
    3) matt body color lightly sprayed, except shock tower where its black w brush.

Mine is not restored in these details.
    Karman cars sometimes had other details than factory build.

Only 73 Model Year cars had body color in both wheel wells and engine bay.
    Black trunk, i recall the Swb ones, for shure. But no 2.2l or 2.4l.
    Registry member No.773

thank you very much!!

i see some cars with the body color in those places...theres the doubt...

check this one

Name:  porsche_911_20t_06.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  182.4 KB

Name:  porsche_911_20t_02.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  171.8 KB

I also have a Euro 1970 Targa. Engine bay and wheel wells are black. Front trunk is body color sprayed lightly.
    1970 911T Targa

Pmc007, If wheel wells are left body color on those 2.2l, beleive me its not factory spec.
    The guy who sprayed the car did not know how to do it right. Yes its often seen and its often done wrong.
    If you have Brian Longs book which only shows period photos, you ll see no wheel well on any 2.0 or 2.2 is body colored, same goes for engine bay.

Btw if you want to go period correct, the undercarriage on that above car is wrong too, it should have matt black stone guard and an additional black stripe of paint up towards the T door trim, plus probably, the black paint on door edges behind door trim is missing too..Door handles look 1969 2.0l, not 1970 2.2l and black seat hinges might pinpoint seats are from a later 2.4l model.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 03-03-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Registry member No.773

...I prefer the look of the 73 MY car without the 'black' top coat in the engine bay, wheel wells, etc. Agreed it is not 'correct' for my 70-S, but I like the presentation of this clean look with the body color in the engine bay and wheel wells...really makes it pop on a fully restored car. My car, my way, so I say let the next guy get out his can of Krylon and spray away .

Also for 1970 911S--interior of floors and seat pans etc--black or body color??
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

I am with mac73s on this, for now the nice thing about my patinated 71 is I can touch up black in wheel wells with a brush. S

thanks 911T1971, really helpful, the idea is to go 99% factory, except for the side skirt, IŽll use the E model, that I believe gives the car a more "polished look"...
    one other thing is the back trunk lid, is it 100% polished or polished + black...theres 3 versions to buy...black (currently on mine)/ chrome + black mesh/ all chrome...so whats the correct?

mac73s and Chiroracer, yep, black is the best for that...can be touch top any time, no worries...