Thread: RWB.... a perspective....

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

RWB.... a perspective....

Just thought I'd share. Couldnt find a publisher to take it so here it is for you to read... Let me know your thoughts!

The Emperor Has No Clothes. An allegory for RWB ownership and automotive narcissism.

The Emperor’s New Clothes is a Hans Christian Anderson story from the mid-19th century. It’s the tale of how two textile makers created a wardrobe for an emperor. As a very wealthy man, the emperor spent an inordinate amount of money on clothing purely to impress others. He instructs his tailors to make him an amazing suit. They are explicit that the new wardrobe is invisible to those unfit for their positions, "hopelessly stupid", or incompetent.

There are, of course, no clothes. His aides and advisors don’t see the clothes. Society doesn’t see the clothes. The emperor is naked, and no one has the courage to stand up to the situation before them lest they be cast out as idiots, or buffoons. Eventually, a child screams out, and points at the emperor screaming: "But he isn't wearing anything at all!". Predictably, the emperor stands taller, and continues the broken charade, with his aides holding up the train of the wardrobe, that wasn’t even there in the first place.

The moral of the story is that anyone seeking fame and notoriety, especially in today’s social media-fueled world, will do almost anything to attain it. The entire car culture today is filled with emperors. They parade naked on Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and now Drivetribe. Likes pour in as if shot out of a meme cannon. (And yes, there’s now a meme for that too.)

I know I’m not the only one concerned about the idea of enthusiasts building cars purely for fame. Visual impact is king, over the quality of build. Cars that look like they run nines with 1,500 horsepower remain stock under their robe.

The most obvious and blatant example of this idiom is RWB. (We’ll save Liberty Walk for another article.) I remember when I saw the Stella car pop up on my newsfeed years ago. I sat upright in my chair, elbows on the armrests, and leaned close to the monitor. I had no idea what I was looking at. It was clearly some sort of race car. There were no numbers though, and it was painted flat black. It struck me with it’s absolute insistence through the glow of my monitor. I loved it. It was fresh, raw, and appeared purposeful. I didn't see much after that, until the it showed up on a popular automotive blog.

It all started then, for the rest of the world, around eight years ago with those articles about a relatively unknown man. Akira Nakai-san, they called him. He built cars in Kashiwa, Japan. Notably, he did it in a dingy corrugated steel garage with a cracked green concrete floor. The man didn’t speak much English in the videos about his builds. He smoked incessantly. He didn’t care about what anyone else thought about what he was doing. It encapsulated precisely what most real enthusiasts wanted to be—building for himself and a few others, with no one looking over his shoulder. He was a hero. He freehanded fiberglass body kits on the last couple of generations of the air cooled 911 chassis. He and his buddies would take the cars out to Motegi at the idlers event and race them.

Or used to. As far as I know, the cars were never meant to be masterpieces. They were never meant to be worshipped. They were meant to be moving functioning representations of what Nakai envisioned. The car culture latched on to what was something very real. Nakai, is in fact, about as real as it gets. The man has 50-weight oil flowing through his veins more completely than most other Porsche enthusiasts. His work goes far beyond “little touches”. The “built because I felt like it and fuck it looks good.” theme flows through all of his early builds. We all sat back, looked at what Nakai was doing with a sudden clarity of how uncool we were. It’s what many of us wanted to be deep down. A builder, doing something unique, and special, with one of the most legendary marques ever to come down an assembly line.

But we can’t be that. And we’re not. We’ll never be. Nakai-san is a once in a generation guy. What he builds, doesn't translate to cool when it’s owned by anyone else. People are driving around in them like they are the emperor in their new clothes. They stand there in a $450,000 private garage with coated floors, and nothing on the walls but an overpriced clock and some vintage posters watching this man, this legend, cut up your stock high mile leaky 911 with a pneumatic saw. It’s lauded to be a masterpiece. It’s not. It’s nothing like what it looks like, and rarely does anyone follow through to make it so. There’s too much spray paint, glue, body screws, and lack of measurement. Your $40,000+ free handed body kit sits on a 993 that has no door cards, wiring hanging out from under the dash, and seats that are falling apart. To me, you’re just a naked guy dressed up in an RWB 911 that everyone is afraid to call out. Well, here I am. I’m calling you out. You did it to get a taste of the Nakai-san enigma. You’re not him. You’re not one of his hometown buddies. You’re not hitting up Motegi for the idler 12 hour race. You’re rubbing your way out of parking lots in which your relatively stock 911 just left a puddle of oil in. You’re running 14 or 15 second quarter miles in a car with what you think is enough visual downforce to depress other people's egos just by driving by. These cars, and many like them are the torn and faded jeans of the 911 world. The only way that look is cool, is if you wore them out yourself.

This phenomenon isn’t unique to RWB, 911s, or even cars. Our society today is drowning in blatant narcissism. A glance at any of the social media platforms proves we’re turning into a society looking ever outward for approval and clicks. And you did it for the fame. You did it for the attention. It’s over. There are exceptions to everything, and I’m sure not all the owners are this way, but it’s time for everyone to realize that many of the owners of these RWB cars are as naked as they day they were born. But as bad as this phenomenon is, who’s fault is it?

I got into car clubs, and tuning around 18 years ago. At the time there wasn’t really social media to speak of. You had a local forum, and a national forum. That was it. Still, the writing was on the wall. I remember making random posts on forums about my car, or cars or articles I had shot and written for magazines. I kept a build thread documenting my progress with projects and updated it regularly. In a way, it was the inception of the car culture we see on the internet now. The instant feedback and response to posting when compared to instagram, twitter, and facebook is nonexistent on a forum. Now we live in a society where everything you do can be sent out like instant postcards. Instead of: “Hello from Adenau! Hitting the nurburgring tomorrow! Wish you were here! -Your best friend” being delivered on a postcard a week after you’ve already returned home, we’re inundated with low key drivel daily. While the desire to keep up with the joneses has always existed, it’s now taking every possible Methamphetamine derivative you can think of. The “check out how awesome my life is” family letter we used to get once a year, is now in our face every single minute of every day. In the car culture it's every RWB or Liberty Walk car you’ve ever seen. What happens to these cars after the likes start to fall off when everyone gets tired of seeing them? The quantity of videos and media surrounding these builds is a testament to how much these individuals, and their fans care about showing everyone what they are doing. If I close my eyes, I feel like I’m eating riveted on fenders for breakfast against my will.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

part 2:

The modified car scene is being completely ruined by a bunch of assholes running personal PR firms from their instagram and facebook accounts. Real public relation firms work for an individual or corporation that offers society a product or service. The personally infatuated posting selfies of themselves and their cars offer us as the consumer of their facade absolutely nothing. They are all just trying to convince everyone they are some conceptualized ideal version of themselves. While often guilty of this myself, generally I sit on my own instagram with nothing to post unless I have something special I think people might want to see. I haven't posted in awhile, and that's okay with me. Some of this fame-whoring however, it's thrown back in my face nearly every swipe down the feed. So what exactly is it that these people are trying to do? To keep the ruse going, they have to feed into other people’s feeds. In order for the idealized version of one’s self to come to fruition, you must also participate in the aggrandizement of others. Is this real? Is it sustainable? Are we destined to see figures in the car scene we all look up to burn out when they over saturate their audience? Must we all attempt to be as popular as possible? Is the constant boot licking actual enthusiasm for the motoring industry, or is it something else? I imagine sometimes would happen if you couldn't like and participate in other people's posts. People would most certainly seek approval elsewhere, hopefully amongst their closer peers.

All of this bitching and complaining is fruitless I know, and I’m asking a lot of questions I don’t know the answer to. The entire concept is a runaway train. The social media empire isn’t going to throw in the towel after a stunning headline making self introspection where it realizes it is ruining society or our car scene in particular. When I delete my facebook it feels like I completely disappear from the world. Aside from a few close friends, it’s nearly like you cease to exist. This is good for awhile, but it definitely feels too disconnected for me. With this profession it’s just a poor idea. I need to stay in touch with owners, publications, editors, and the community. But for the average joe car guy, maybe It wouldn’t be such a bad thing? Lean back in your chair and really consider this: Would people really be building all of these RWB cars without 174 film crews and photographers there to fawn over the process? How many times do we need to see the same thing repeated over and over again? Would anyone care without being added to an exclusive group? How many of the people shoving air ride and wheels on their cars and posting about them would still do it without the circle jerk that comes with it? We should all go back to building cars for ourselves, and going on a drive just to get out there and do it. Rather than making sure we snap the latest flyby of our sweet new exhaust, how about taking the time to listen to it ourselves. There’s nothing like the engine noise rapping back off trees and concrete as you charge through the countryside, or down an onramp. Next time, do it for yourself, and leave the rest of the world out of it because really, unless you “follow back” nobody cares anyways. We should all take some inspiration from Nakai, and get back to our dingy garages and start building with our friends where no one can see us but ourselves.
    -Kris Clewell

Yeah, I can see why no one wanted to run this column- you tell ugly truths. The "look-at-me's" drive views, and drive the monetization of social media. Toss a Monster can into the hand of a guy (wearing Vans shoes, a Bape/C&C/Superdry hoodie, and a Supreme flat-bill hat) during a photo shoot, plug Federal tires with some up-close shots and make sure that Bride logo is front and center. It hits too close to home for the majority of your publishers' advertisers and marketing strategies.

Good writing. You've pretty much boiled down the reasons why I stopped going to car meets- I grew up in San Diego's drifting scene and everything just got crap. That, and seeing cars in person shows you some things that pictures often don't- the poor finish work. All the moody shots in the world can't make up for a lack of talent.

I can also remember the day I saw Stella. My brother was still in college and I forwarded him the link. Nakai reminded me of Yoshinori Koguchi, a dude I respected in the S-chassis world. Old-school, substance with some style. Maybe he hasn't let the fame ruin him, but it's ruined the idea of him.

PS- Personally opining.
    Steve C.
    CPR Classic Restoration
    Fallbrook, CA

I don't get it. RWB, or the reaction (either way.)

Call me simple, I'm just a car builder.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

I imagine it wasn't run because it's a bit mean spirited. True or not.
    -Kris Clewell

Good for you. Unfortunately, the world has changed, and we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

It seems that more and more it's not how good you are, it's how many people think you are good. There are exceptions of course. But it takes an audience who can see the difference.

I started a blog seven years ago just for me. It's still just for me. My wife does all my other social media now. It's turned into a full time job for her just to cut through the noise. Thank God she likes it.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Had you not mentioned Nakai-san and the RWB cars, I think this could have easily been published as an opinion piece.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1