Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: loose Steering column fix

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

loose Steering column fix

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ng_bushing.htm

will this work for me? I have play in the column. Just the steering wheel is moving. Maybe 2-3mm. When I put my year of car in to buy the part it says it's not available....
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Does your car have the original steering wheel? If not then it's likely whoever changed the wheel left out some of the parts.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I've done this couple times with great success on later cars, Kris. Very quick and satisfying fix but I think it's only applicable to later cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Clewell View Post
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ng_bushing.htm

will this work for me? I have play in the column. Just the steering wheel is moving. Maybe 2-3mm. When I put my year of car in to buy the part it says it's not available....
    Kris

That part is of no use to you and only works for 74 and later 911s.
    Did you transfer all the parts off the back of your previous wheel on to that ratty
    Old thing you have now?��

Regards

Jim

Check to make sure all the components are the right way round: I had a similar issue and all I had to do was reverse one of the parts and the movement was gone. Sorry to be hazy on the part name, but I'm no expert :-)
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

On early cars it is quite common that either the upper bearing (Item 11) has separated into two parts due to the snap ring having become dislodged.

This can allow loose ball bearings to fall into the column.

It is quite easy to rebuild this bearing with new balls and re-fit.

You will need a puller to take it out of the end of the column.

If this bearing is intact then it is possible that the 'Steutzring' (Item 12) is either missing or is fitted the wrong way round.

The 'point' on the 'steutzring' should be facing the gap in the bearing.

This bearing arrangement was used until around 1973 but the Steutzring was eliminated in around 1971.

Part Number is 695.347.725.00 and cost is around $25-30

Would that "Leland" bearing be a fix here (on say a 71).?

I believe that 'fix' is a part which repairs the bearing on the later column when the plastic inner track breaks.

There is a 928 part that Porasche sells that does the came job.

The ealy bearing is quite different and although I believe you can buy a plastic part as Porsche still sell the original Steutzring this seems to be the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post

On early cars it is quite common that either the upper bearing (Item 11) has separated into two parts due to the snap ring having become dislodged.

This can allow loose ball bearings to fall into the column.

It is quite easy to rebuild this bearing with new balls and re-fit.

You will need a puller to take it out of the end of the column.

If this bearing is intact then it is possible that the 'Steutzring' (Item 12) is either missing or is fitted the wrong way round.

The 'point' on the 'steutzring' should be facing the gap in the bearing.

This bearing arrangement was used until around 1973 but the Steutzring was eliminated in around 1971.

Part Number is 695.347.725.00 and cost is around $25-30
    Chris

The "Steutzring" was used until the column changed with the 74 year model cars. Where did your info come from that stated it was eliminated? That is wrong! Your illustration is great and clearly shows the proper orientation of the spring, turn signal canceller, and the "Steutzring" (split ring).

Regards

Jim

Jim,

The diagram I posted is a 65-67 Column arrangement, I may well be wrong but there is an indication that Porsche did eliminate this component.

If you look on the PET you will see that the Steutzring is missing from 1971 onwards and we see quite a number of cars without them fitted.