Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i equip my 65 with rear sway bar?

can i equip my 65 with rear sway bar?

good evening,

i do not remember exactly, i already searched, but was there a possibility given by porsche to equippe the 65 with a rear sway bar?

if yes, how can this be done, as there is no ball point at the "bananen lenker".

with best regards from bavaria
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Banned
    Why do you want a rear sway bar?

last week i drove behind a 70S and in curves it behaved neutral and i already had some stability issues, despite having all set new, dampers, bearings and all perfect, but also
    i remember reading about the better stability and higher cornering speeds with the rear sway bar...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Banned
    I know people may dispute this but proof is in the puddin. It's against my better judgment to offer but here goes:

Rear sway bars are almost worthless on an early 911. Especially with the wonderful selection of T-Bars we now have. Go with as stiff a front and rear T-Bar as your wife will tolerate and install the biggest front sway bar you can buy; tune from there if necessary by going down in size. I think you'll be amazed at how flat the car will be.
    Obviously other parameters to consider like tires, dampers, camber/toe, and bushings but this will get you in the right direction.

Do not waste your dough on a rear sway bar.

I have 15mm front and rear sway bars on #302580. I beleived it came from the factory that way.

Like it very much. Compliant, good ride but also helps keep the car flat in tight turns.

There are a lot of threads on this forum about sway bars including early cars.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    I know people may dispute this but proof is in the puddin. It's against my better judgment to offer but here goes:

Rear sway bars are almost worthless on an early 911. Especially with the wonderful selection of T-Bars we now have. Go with as stiff a front and rear T-Bar as your wife will tolerate and install the biggest front sway bar you can buy; tune from there if necessary by going down in size. I think you'll be amazed at how flat the car will be.
    Obviously other parameters to consider like tires, dampers, camber/toe, and bushings but this will get you in the right direction.

Do not waste your dough on a rear sway bar.
    Im with Frank. Its fine to want the car to corner flat but tires, camber and other issues will keep you out of trouble.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    You might consider new tires.

Before I put on Vredestein Sprint Classic tires my 911 was really unstable on economy car Dunlop 165R15s unless I had significant torque from the engine (i.e. a bit of Wellie).

Autobild Klassik gave high marks to the Pirelli CN36 and Vredestein Sprint Classic last July. They tested 185/70_R15s on a Porsche 911E 2.4. In 165R15 the Pirellis cost over twice as much as the Vredesteins.

Also, the book answer is that increasing rear sway bar stiffness increases oversteer. Your '65 probably has adequate oversteer already.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Just now, I am happy with my set of Continental, but right, the Pirellis are on the list: a set is 1k euro!
    I intended to have them with the NOS set of chromed Lemmerz 5 1/2, but the guy was much too high in his demands.

but still:
    what are the recommendations for the T-bars . .
    I accept to stay clear of the rear torsion bar . .but still i thought there was some instruction out, where to weld the balljoints in which position
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Agree with Frank....the LAST thing you need on that '65 is a rear sway bar!

A small sway bar on the front and better tires would be just right on an otherwise stock car.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

The irony is you can put a rear sway bar on using all Porsche parts, not so sure with TB only swapping. If you have the cash you can do a sway bar install start to finish using Porsche "period" correct parts but it will be tedious and may not be what you wanted all along as stated above. Or you could do a sway bar, 26mm Torsion Bars, bushings, and some very cool original tire sizes. You can then tell your family when they ask how much all that crap costs that it's all for being safe on the road.
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas