Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should a US spec 1973 2.4S have a front oil cooler

Should a US spec 1973 2.4S have a front oil cooler

Good afternoon guys.
    As per the thread title.
    Can you gurus confirm if a 1973 US specification 2.4S would have had a front oil cooler.
    many thanks Graeme
    early S registry # 2596

Not necessarily Graeme... It was an option in '73

My April build US spec 73S did not....

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Many thanks Chuck. My 2.4S is number 1033 so not far away from your own beauty. I can breath a sigh of relief phew !!!
    early S registry # 2596

member #1515
    In Europe it was standard, in the US it was an option. You definitely need one if you live in anyplace the temp goes above 85 and you drive at high speed for long distances.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Bought my car in Feb. '89, and my first track day was in the SoCal desert at Willow Springs 4 months after in mid June...

I had a cooler installed about a week before... No problem

.... 28 years later.... No problem....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I have to install lines and cooler on a 69 targa with a upgraded Henry built Supertech MFI 2.4 Mod S. I did one on my SWB car but the battery box on this LWB car looks like it's going to block the air flow. Any suggestions?
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

The battery box doesn't prevent the cooler from getting adequate air, we give that a good test down here,,,,it's not a problem. What IS critical however is having the factory louvered plate behind the cooler. That plate is not just for stone protection, the louvers are critical to creating a low pressure area that helps draw air in from the grill, the plate is also important in sealing off the area so ALL the air passes thru the cooler. I've seen too many cooler installs that are just hanging out in space,,,,,so the air goes AROUND the cooler,,,and then they wonder why it still runs hot!! If I can run my 72 S in 100 degree temps at a time trial and not go over 220, then the box is NOT a problem.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed. I have Elephant's Carrera cooler, louvered plate, lines and thermostat. It looks a little tight to get the fan in there.
    Chris
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Why would you want the fan? just gets in the way of the airflow. The factory only used the fan on large displacement engines running A/C in traffic jams.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This is a 2.7 POLO with about 11.5CR and only 4 cylinders of fins not 6. And the fins are somewhat small as the cylinders are 104's I think. My 2.4 here in Colorado on a high 90's day with thin air and low humidity (sometimes in single digits) could see north of 220 so I back off and get the temp back down to about 215. When I drive along the California coast my car runs 20 degrees cooler. I'm considering a second cooler on the drivers side for my car. The owner of this car lives in a much more humid climate so a second cooler probably won't be called for.
    Chris
    www.reSeeWorks.com