Thread: 69 Tail light gaskets

69 Tail light gaskets

This question was asked on the little cousin site 912bbs, but no one seemed to have an answer for it. I suppose because it's a one year only (at least for the 912) issue. Someone suggested that I come over here and post the question ... and so here it is.

With the 1969 and later tail light housing, the rear section is removable and there's a gasket that seals it up. This is different then the gasket that seals the lens to the tail light housing. This is a gasket that goes between the two parts of the housing.

I've borrowed a picture from another 1969 tail light and circled the gasket in red. Does anyone have a part number or know where I can locate this gasket? I've called all of the usual suspects (Pelican, Sierra, etc.) and even the new West Coast Porsche Classic Parts center with no luck. Hope someone here can help.

Thanks!
    VinceName:  69_Tailight_Connections1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  136.8 KB

interesting!
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

I don't believe there is a part number for that gasket as it is part of the housing unit and is not sold as a separate item. Might try some foam tape for sealing windows that might work has adhesive on one side and fold over the edge. Here is some: https://www.grainger.com/product/43Y...170422023524:s
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

That white gasket was never available as a separate item....internal Bosch piece.

You can find a nice edge seal extrusion from McMaster Carr. a simple "U" profile will work just fine and the cover flange seals it.....and hides it....as if anybody can see it!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Thanks for the suggestions!! I think I'm going to try the edge seal, just placed an order. And you are right, now one will see it, but I the gasket on my tail light was crumbling, so needed something to seal up the back.