Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North meets South, Paso Robles - '17

North meets South, Paso Robles - '17

Took off Friday afternoon to drive to Paso Robles wine country to attend the '17 annual edition of the Southern California / Northern Cal. 356 Clubs meeting. After a few miles of the insane, congested madness of 'El Camino Real' , aka Highway 101, I remembered Jim Breazeale's urging a few years ago and telling of his encountering a wild boar at triple digit speed in his beloved 356, that the most enjoyable way to get there from the SF bay area is to avoid 101 as much as you can, and take state hghway 25 from about San Juan Bautista to its very end near King city. Thank you so much for the pointer Jim, because it really worked and went a long way to make this a very special and enjoyable trip..........it's simply amazing how taking a beautiful 'driver's' road and getting away from the madness on major freeways can improve one's outlook. I would earnestly urge anyone coming to Cambria or thereabouts from the North to take this jewel of a route and see how truly pleasurable driving in central California can really be.

Being an odd year, it was the Southern Cal.'s 356 Club's turn ( the Northern 356 Club is in charge of organizing and staging the event in even years ) to be the host and out-going President Jeff Trask wound up his term with a stroke of genius - to stage the multi-day event's Saturday Concours at the little known ( I had never even heard of it ) Estrella Warbird Museum located on the grounds of the Paso Robles municipal airport. It was the first nice, normal weekend with blue skies, no rain or clouds present or forecasted and warm, inviting temperatures in the mid to high 70s for the duration of the event. Simply glorious - the compact, colorful 356s casually placed among the Korean war / Viet Nam and later era fighter planes and military aircraft presented a fascinating, other-worldly sight to anyone with even limited enthusiasm and knowledge of what they were looking at......................simply magnificent !! Thank you Jeff, what a way to wind up your reign as Club President.

Opening the peresentation with a couple of images from the drive down on Hwy. #25, the main entrance to the Concours site, followed by a couple of initial views of the display area of both cars and planes, and Oh Yes, the silver Coupe is a real '57 4-cam Carrera.

Enjoy and thanks for looking,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 04-23-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

This will be a fairly unstructured posting of random images in no particular order - the overload of historic aircraft and gorgeous Porsches was stimulus enough and I hope you can find a measure of satisfaction viewing beautiful 356s strewn among the military triumphs of the 20th century's 'cold war' years.....right off the bat it had all the earmarks of an event that will stick in my memory for a very long time.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 04-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Beautiful pictures John. Looks like a wonderful greataway. The 356's look quite appropriate back-dropped by the planes.

Also thanks for the state hghway 25 reminder. Off the super slabs this state has some increibly beautiful routes. This past fall we traveled N & S on HW 395, east of the Sierras. Just amazing part of our state and country.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    . . . Took off Friday afternoon to drive to Paso Robles wine country to attend the '17 annual edition of the Sothern California / Northern Cal. 356 Clubs meeting . . .

. . . a stroke of genius to stage the multi-day event's Saturday Concours at the little known ( I had never even heard of it ) Estrella Warbird Museum located on the grounds of the Paso Robles municipal airport . . .

. . . Oh Yes, the silver Coupe is a real '57 4-cam Carrera . . .

Great stuff, Sir!. Nice area, too --- especially this time of the year

And looks like there was another Real Carrera there, too . . .

. . . REVS UP --- Greg Young's GT Speedster

Thanks for posting

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks much, gentlemen.

Third set, with many more to go.........I hope you understand - this will probably take me the rest of the day, but there are a million other things that need looking after and it's a beautiful day.

JZG

....................and yet another set.

................and the next set.

..........some more.

...............more still.

Love the photos - great location for a gathering!