Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever consigned a car for sale to a dealer?

Has anyone ever consigned a car for sale to a dealer?

So, I've been chasing a special car and I'm considering selling a car or two to make the deal happen. No idea which cars yet but good ones.

I'm familar with the usual suspects (EC, Sloan, etc) as well as some part-timers and, if i went ahead, I'd prefer to work with a company that's a dealer first as opposed to a shop or restorer that sells cars as a secondary focus. I'm sure others here have been down this road. Any advice or recommendations? PM's welcome if the information is private/sensitive.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 04-25-2017 at 07:02 AM.

After a lot of thought, I used Paul and Ed at Autokennel to sell my '89 930S Slant nose. Highly recommended....albeit, on the WEST Coast.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Brokers

I sold my last 'special interest' car --- an un-restored 356B Roadster . . . through a broker

Some of my considerations . . .

1) Broker I chose had specific/detailed knowledge of the type of car I was offering. So things like matching numbers, construction details, and 'authenticity' of the car didn't need to be explained to him. He knew what I knew and would be able to show that to any prospective buyer

2) Broker I chose knew the 'market.' Short Version = any pricing or expectations would get a proper 'reality check'

3) Broker I chose had contacts who would appreciate the car

Although I never said anything, I had a bit of a time issue. Still, whole deal took about a month

I got what I wanted after his commission

Buyer still has the car . . .

. . . and I'd love to buy it back

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Try Paul and Ed at AutoKennel ...

cm
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-25-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I did not have a happy potential purchase experience with Paul, car had a few issues shown up by PPI some of which were obvious by just looking at the car!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondrian View Post
    I did not have a happy potential purchase experience with Paul, car had a few issues shown up by PPI some of which were obvious by just looking at the car!
    These guys are just around the corner from me. Great reputation and Bruce and I have been friends for over 40 years.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mondrian View Post
    First off These are 50 year old cars
    Second It is not the brokers job to tell you every minute detail of a car he is selling No fraud of course but buyer beware, that is what a PPI is for.
    Third Good on you for getting a PPI! THat is the smartest thing for anyone to do!

Seriously on old cars restored or not, I am going to see things you don't see and visa versa You can't blame a broker or an owner for that. Ask specific questions and you get lies, that is a different story my 2 pennies

I'm curious why someone would use a dealer in this market. To keep it private? Save the hassle of dealing with the public? To attain a certain price point? I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, I'm just curious. It seems like selling an air cooled Porsche right now is fairly easy, lots of buyers.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    I'm curious why someone would use a dealer in this market. To keep it private? Save the hassle of dealing with the public? To attain a certain price point? I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, I'm just curious. It seems like selling an air cooled Porsche right now is fairly easy, lots of buyers.

---Adam
    Adam

yes, yes and yes

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Adam

yes, yes and yes

Jim
    I'm curious because I get lots of requests for people to consign their cars, we don't do that. I say sell it to me, or sell it yourself. The one time I tried to consign something as soon as I advertised the car the guy's best friend contacted him and said he wanted it, and things got complicated. I don't envy a dealer who consigns. Same reason I don't sell a car until I have it, you can't sell off of a seller's description, that can be very dangerous.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!