Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox no./type 1970 2.2S

Gearbox no./type 1970 2.2S

Hi there!

I just got my COA from Porsche Germany on my '70 2.2S. Strangely the COA states that the car was originally delivered with a 911/00 gearbox.
    As much as I could find out so far those gearboxes where only fitted into 1969/70 911 "T" models but not to "S".

When I bought the car I checked the #'s and noticed a 911/02 #71048XX gearbox fitted to the car. This lead me to the assumption that everything should be OK.
    But obviously it isn't.

My car has originally been a US delivery into Culver City, CA with "order type" 911 534. The options list don't mention a change in gb, only M470 "Komfort-Ausstattung".
    Besides, I would assume that the "high" serial number (71048XX) of the 911/02 could mean it's a replacement/exchange gb.

Does anyone know if S's of that model year(s) where actually fitted 911/00 gb's from factory?

Thx in advance,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    I just got my COA from Porsche Germany on my '70 2.2S. Strangely the COA states that the car was originally delivered with a 911/00 gearbox...
    When I bought the car I checked the #'s and noticed a 911/02 #71048XX gearbox fitted to the car...
    Tom, what is the serial number of the transmission on the COA?
    A 911/00 transmission is a 4-speed, 911/01 a 5-speed. Without digging through my other books, the Specifications booklet doesn't list a "911/02" and states that #71048XX should be a 911/01.
    It's possible that a 911S was ordered with a 4-speed, but the transmission number on the COA will give us more information.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Last edited by Jon B; 04-27-2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: I wrote "Kardex", but Tom only mentioned COA

If it turns out that a 4-sp 911 box was originally used, I have one that may interest you...

Name:  002+5+1261956435.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  124.5 KB

This came out of my 70' 911T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Tom, what is the serial number of the transmission on the COA?
    A 911/00 transmission is a 4-speed, 911/01 a 5-speed. Without digging through my other books, the Specifications booklet doesn't list a "911/02" and states that #71048XX should be a 911/01.
    It's possible that a 911S was ordered with a 4-speed, but the transmission number on the COA will give us more information.
    Hi Jon,

thx for your reply. Thing is, German COA's won't show a gb# if not stated before (correctly) on the application form. Porsche claims that is due to "privacy reasons".
    As grotesque as it may sound: I will never be able to find out the matching gb# for my car, unless I already know it ;-)
    They also wouldn't tell who was the first owner or the exact dealer the car was sold from.
    Don't ask why. That's how us Tsherrrmans are...

And I have to apologize:
    Of course it should say 911/01 and not 911/02. My bad.

As of the Porsche parts catalog "Vorspannseiten" (the addendum) all manual 1970 2.2 "S" should have fitted a 911/01 5-speed gearbox (EU and overseas models). In regards of correct numbering it should look like:
    71 = 911/01 gearbox
    0 = model year 1970
    XXXX serial number

The one fitted to my car at the moment is 7104895. Since there have been built only ~ 4.700 911 "S" in '69/'70 with manual gb I would assume that mine is some sort of exchange gearbox.
    What I am curious though is that Porsche claims my car has been factory-fit with a 911/00 gearbox. I would assume that this option should be explicitly marked on the options list on the COA as it is a change from stock.
    But it isn't.

@Brian:
    On above mentioned "Vorspannseiten" a 911/00 gearbox is a 4-speed manual fitted onto 911 "T" models only. What I am looking for is the reason why they put a 911/00 on my "S" instead of a 911/01. If Porsche would have used 911/00 gearbox shells also for the 911/01 gearboxes and "hammer" a 1 over the 0 that'd be a different thing though. But I have no idea if that'd be technically even possible (doubt it) or was common practise at any time.

Could also be that the gb-mechanic at the factory was on the piss the night before and mis-hammered the "1" onto the 911/00-shell. He then decided to hammer the "0" over it and hoped nobody would notice ;-)

Name:  gb_no.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  100.4 KB
    Last edited by tomster; 04-28-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo

Besides, I would assume that the "high" serial number (71048XX) of the 911/01 could mean it's a replacement/exchange gb.
    That is far from being a high serial #. They built at least 12700 type 911/01 trans in 1970. The full 710xxxx series and a partial second series 770xxxx.
    I may be able to get your trans #. I'll email you.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

@Brian:
    On above mentioned "Vorspannseiten" a 911/00 gearbox is a 4-speed manual fitted onto 911 "T" models only. What I am looking for is the reason why they put a 911/00 on my "S" instead of a 911/01. If Porsche would have used 911/00 gearbox shells also for the 911/01 gearboxes and "hammer" a 1 over the 0 that'd be a different thing though. But I have no idea if that'd be technically even possible (doubt it) or was common practise at any time.

Could also be that the gb-mechanic at the factory was on the piss the night before and mis-hammered the "1" onto the 911/00-shell. He then decided to hammer the "0" over it and hoped nobody would notice ;-)

Name:  gb_no.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  100.4 KB
    Great imagination! I wouldn't doubt something like that didn't actually occur - people, not robots made these cars.

I guess I will have to try the Kardex-way. The guys at Porsche Classic don't seem to be very ambitious on further investigation on my car...
    On one hand on the COA they state a Porsche order type 534
    5 = S Coupé
    3 = S engine
    4 = 5-speed transmission

and on the other hand they claim it has been fitted a 4-speed gb at production time. But there's no trace of the reasons behind this.

Kardex is not available for my car :-(
    Seems like this is how the story ends...

Banned
    Far more important things in life to lose sleep over.

My 3 owner, very high option 71S coupe (elec roof, elec windows, sport seats, leather, LSD, Behr A/C, fogs, etc) CoA doesn't even list the trans number; I will never know what it is.

Who cares.

Sure, why bother? Watch the kids grow up, keep your wife happy. But then again...
    It's actually only that I know nothing about my car's past except that it's been delivered to Culver City end of 1969. Not even the exact dealership.

And btw, my CoA doesn't state a trans no. either.
    On German CoA's you wouldn't get an engine, transmission or any other number on the CoA unless you put in the correct (=matching) number on the application form first. Wrong number = no number at all. Dunno if that's the same on US CoA's? Maybe I could live with the uncertainty of not knowing the correct trans number, but I can't help bothering that I will not be able to find out why they put in a 4-speed-gb in the first place. Simply because 4-speed doesn't make sense at all.