Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.2 decal for rear window...anyone make the original type?

Cars left imo the factory with this decals. I never heard it was left to customers to add them but maybe mfitton is right.
    However on all period pics I have (about a dozen), including Christophorus, the cars have them right off the factory.

The original was a square one.

They were originially a dark orange/tangerine, as seen in period color pictures.
    Within the times, this color often faded to a yellowish shade.

Dark (ruby) red for repros is definitly the wrong color. Some repro also used wrong Typo.
    Decal in post 7 is a repro.
    Decal in post 16 is also an (older) repro, and mounted too high.

Below is what is probably one of the best period color photo of the 2.2l decal.
    Note its tangerine color as well as its position.

And here another one.
    Although sligthly blurry, one clearly can see the orange shade vs. red car as well as its factory mounted position. On all period pics available, the position is always similar.

Here a 1971 factory shot, cars already equipped with the decals

And the detail from the "famous" 700 miles car, a 2.2S.
    Here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ile-911-detail
    Note how its 2.2 decal faded to a yellowish shade.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-09-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    Registry member No.773

1971 2.2 T press pic - looks tangerine-ish to my ancient eyes
    can post a bigger pic as needed

HTH
    Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Learn more every day, and we don't know about our cars other than when we owned them, 2nd owner of the 71 targa, was supposed to be original other than a engine rebuild, was the square sticker. thanks for info on this

Regards

My '70E needs one of these decals. Who is the best current source?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I bought a handful of these from various vendors back in 2018 looking for an exact match to the original. So many were not even close to the right size and colors (including one company who heavily advertises their “perfect” reproduction decals). If memory serves the one I picked from Stoddard at the time was nearly indistinguishable from the tattered original on my car. That was a few years ago but they still may be worth a look.

Looking at the Stoddard website, it seem that their decal outline does not follow the outlines of the engine. The decal showing on the Carbone website and the one on the Aase website seem to be identical to one another and do follow the outlines of the engine. Based on my reading from this thread, those seem to be pretty close to the original.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

CarBone may have improved but at least the one I purchased from them was not even a close match to the original when it arrived. There were issues with size, typography, and colors. This was years ago and perhaps what they have now is better.

I ordered the Stoddard decal and the one from Aase. I will let you know what I think of both.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Name:  factory 1969.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  101.6 KB

the decal on my car is orange...and nearly flourescent orange. (tho, there is a flourescent red, like the marlboro F1 racers, that looks like orange)
    I had a dark red decal, that stated 'made in germany" with a part number, but I didn't like it...it was too big and too dark.
    So I just kept looking, for years, and found one, accidentally, that was correct size and orange numbers.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

CarBone's decal looks close to the original orange in some photos but not in others, though my computer screen could be deceiving me. https://car-bone.pl/shop/engine-sticker-22/

This one also looks close to the original. No experience with the vendor. https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/fadest2enst.html
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474