Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 door handles and pulls?

1969 door handles and pulls?

Why is it that there was no door pull on the drivers side?
    How many years was it like this?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

If you like to have one, try to find a RHD passenger one: 90155504020

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    I found a set for sale, but I am curious as to why only the passenger side has a pull?

www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    ahh, i understand. RHD would have the pull. Which could be used to make a set for a LHD.

www.tcspeed.com

anybody know why the door came without a drivers side pull?

www.tcspeed.com

Does a RHD car have only a single pull on the passenger's side, i.e., a mirror image of a LHD car?

at least the RHD car as a puller for the passenger side. RHD driver should chime in.

Back in the day owners drove these every day. Most used the standard full size steering wheel. There was little clearance to allow for a regular door pull. Drive one of these in stock form hard and the issue becomes obvious. I used to wonder about this also. Then I finally owned a completely stock early 911 and it was like a light bulb turned on. BTW, I looked all over trying to find a RHD setup to no avail. Perhaps there are repos out now but there was noting a decade or two ago.

^
    thanks. That make sense.

im think i mught just switch to 73RS style door panels to delete all the "busy" from the door area.

www.tcspeed.com

While I'm at it [I'm an old guy who has been playing with a variety of P cars over the decades]....

One BIG mistake I have seen a few people do when they want to make their 911 have the lightweight look but be a bit different - whatever you do, do NOT use those chrome metal 356 door pulls. They look neat and dress up the interior, yes. The plastic bits on the early RS setup look.. and are.. cheap. However- many moons ago I was reading where Ferry was discussing various changes over the years and he commented about why they changed these [as well as the metal clothes hooks in the rear areas] to plastic. When you spin out of control these tend to fly up and out. When the car makes impact a person's body tends to end up hard against it. That can make for nasty injuries. The same applies to those small coat hooks when they are made of metal.

You are thinking "Those can't possible be an issue back there"? That was precisely why Ferry had those bits changed to flexible rubber from the chromed metal. I have had to fight myself to keep from finding the owner of a couple of cars to advise them about this and suspect what I have to say wouldn't be welcome. However, there is a degree of social responsibility involved, so if you have thought something like this would look neat in your car - JUST D O N ' T [Last- same with bare roll bars. They may look neat and period.. and I confess to having owned a neat 911 that I bought already set up this way and couldn't bring myself to alter... but I always drove the car solo so no passenger was at risk. If you have an early 911 with a roll bar-- and your head, etc can touch that roll bar, you are taking one H of a risk for severe injury if you .ever have an accident. Enough lecture.