Thread: Glove Compartment Removal - F Series

Glove Compartment Removal - F Series

Any assistance/direction (reference to another thread) from someone who has done this already will be greatly appreciated.

My glove compartment knob/latch has failed. The compartment door does not open. I assume I must remove the glove compartment to gain access to the rear of the door latch to undo it. There is a strap holding the compartment to the dash board. How do I access what appears to be a screw that holds the strap in place? I assume I remove the right knee protection pad from the dashboard frame. How many and where are the bolts that hold the right knee protection pad to the dash board frame?

Name:  0503171640.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  0503171639.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  0503171645.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  Dash Board Trim 1.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  Glove Compartment 2.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  60.1 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    ..I assume I remove the right knee protection pad from the dashboard frame. How many and where are the bolts that hold the right knee protection pad to the dash board frame?
    [18] of the drawing appears to have two secured spots left and right of the box, that may allow removal of 9 -10mm nuts with 1/4" drive socket if they are present..and then a few bits of mask tape to assist the reassembly.

If you remove the knee pad you can access the screws that secure the lid hinge to the dash frame. The latch is just a rotating tab, and even if locked when you loosen the hinge the lid should drop away. You shouldn't have to loosen the strap holding box itself.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    If you remove the knee pad you can access the screws that secure the lid hinge to the dash frame. The latch is just a rotating tab, and even if locked when you loosen the hinge the lid should drop away. You shouldn't have to loosen the strap holding box itself.
    With the knee pad removed, I need to figure out how to detach the glove box door. There appears to be 4 - 8mm nuts that attach to the base of the door from the frame. One pair of nuts from the bottom and one pair from the front.

Name:  0504171659-1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  0504171752-1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  63.5 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Doug

if the glove box door is closed, screw 11 should be hidden by door 3.
    it is possible to bend the end of strap little by litlle straight and pull it out of 10.
    use a plier and turn screw 3 to loosen as far as possible. there are some mm space to the door 3. pull the screw and clamp 10 away from the dash in direction to the trunk and turn the clamp loose.

Nice 72/73 Brown interior. Have you replaced the carpets or still the first ones?
    Still Need several 72/73 Brown parts, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Doug

if the glove box door is closed, screw 11 should be hidden by door 3.
    it is possible to bend the end of strap little by litlle straight and pull it out of 10.
    use a plier and turn screw 3 to loosen as far as possible. there are some mm space to the door 3. pull the screw and clamp 10 away from the dash in direction to the trunk and turn the clamp loose.

Nice 72/73 Brown interior. Have you replaced the carpets or still the first ones?
    Still Need several 72/73 Brown parts, btw.
    Dirk,
    I'll study you recommendation with pliers on the end of screw 11 to loosen clamp.
    Besides screw 11, there are 4 bolts holding door 3 in place. I was hoping by removing the knee pad, I would gain access to screw 11. But the door base below the hinge covers screw 11. In my attempt to remove door, two of the bolts with 8mm nuts will not unscrew because the bolt moves with the nut. The head of those two bolts are covered by the closed door base as well. And then there are the other two 8mm nuts attaching the door base to the bottom the dashboard frame. Removing those two 8mm nuts apparently doesn't loosen anything up either. NOTE: other parts illustration below with more detailed break down of lock. I'm not sure which diagram is specific to my 1973 model year. But neither depict the 4 - 8mm nuts and bolts that anchor the base of the door to the dashboard frame.

Carpets are original along with the rest of the interior. The exception is the driver and passenger seats, both reupholstered.

Name:  Glove Compartment 1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  65.8 KB
    Last edited by DOUGS73E; 05-06-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

..In my attempt to remove door, two of the bolts with 8mm nuts will not unscrew because the bolt moves with the nut. The head of those two bolts are covered by the closed door base as well.
    Since they are not supposed to rotate in tandem, a nuisance like this is improved by a dremel to put a slot on the bolt end, and a small screwdriver will hold it.

Not a standard thing but it can sometimes save the day with small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Since they are not supposed to rotate in tandem, a nuisance like this is improved by a dremel to put a slot on the bolt end, and a small screwdriver will hold it.
    Not a standard thing but it can sometimes save the day with small stuff.
    Clever idea, I will consider that method later. I've been using a 8mm socket to attempt to remove those nuts that rotate in tandem with the bolts. Considering the limited space around the nut, using a wrench and small screw driver will be challenging.
    First I want to locate an accurate illustration/diagram that shows all the nuts and bolts that attach the glove compartment door to the dashboard frame.

Maybe someone has a '73 factory repair manual that they could scan a related illustration/diagram?
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

First I want to locate an accurate illustration/diagram that shows all the nuts and bolts that attach the glove compartment door to the dashboard frame.

Maybe someone has a '73 factory repair manual that they could scan a related illustration/diagram?
    Name:  hinge.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  62.8 KB

Curious, that a factory guy built the hinge...with the rod that runs in it. In theory, it could be taken apart.