Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed on Targa glass seal and defroster wiring

Help needed on Targa glass seal and defroster wiring

have a couple questions, that hopefully somebody can helpout wth;

1. Have a 71T targa that I'm installing a new OEM Porsche seal along with the rear Targa glass, Original had the 3 small holes in it, along with, 2-3 "slits" going to the holes themselves. I don't know if the "slits" were factory or not.? I know that I have to "drill/punch" the 3 holes, but don't know on the slits.? Any help there appreciated.

2. Wondering if anybody has a simple wiring schematic on where the defroster wires connect to.? There are the black "jumper" wires, red/white power, red/blk power and the brown wires (grnd.?) I see somebody put something together for a Coupe, but was told it's different for a Targa.? Any help there appreciated as well. Thx

There was one thing and one thing only I didn't do when reassembling my targa -- defroster wiring. I couldn't imagine a scenario in which I or another owner some decades hence would need a functioning targa glass defroster. Plumbing the wiring adds a nightmare to an already horrible job. Skip it.
    1970 911T Targa

I hear you, just trying to keep this thing somewhat original and I'm a glutten for punishment. Any help out there is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Jrsully View Post
    have a couple questions, that hopefully somebody can helpout wth;

1. Have a 71T targa that I'm installing a new OEM Porsche seal along with the rear Targa glass, Original had the 3 small holes in it, along with, 2-3 "slits" going to the holes themselves. I don't know if the "slits" were factory or not.? I know that I have to "drill/punch" the 3 holes, but don't know on the slits.? Any help there appreciated.

2. Wondering if anybody has a simple wiring schematic on where the defroster wires connect to.? There are the black "jumper" wires, red/white power, red/blk power and the brown wires (grnd.?) I see somebody put something together for a Coupe, but was told it's different for a Targa.? Any help there appreciated as well. Thx
    I did a search on this topic within the past year or so on this forum and found some very helpful instructions and photos of a re-install...covering everything you are inquiring about. It certainly helped me during my reinstall and am getting to do it tomorrow on another car...both coupes however...but I think the task is essentially the same. If you don't have luck with the search let me PM or post again and I will look at the material I printed off and therefore aid in the search.

We've done several at my shop and it's really not that big of a deal. Nice to keep the car original.

My guys are out for a few days but if you don't figure it out with the help of others here shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

As a follow up to my earlier post, I discovered that the information I referenced was found in the PELICAN Porsche 911 technical forum....search "rear heated window - need details on the electrical connection location"...(sorry, the rest of the string is not showing but that should get you there).

I've done several of these, but I rarely take pictures,,,,,its just work,,,,I might have one or two I've taken, plus I have another one coming up that arrived yesterday, but it will be a couple weeks before I start on it. Can you post a picture of what you have,,,,sort of laid out like you're going to install,,,,maybe I can direct you verbally.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Still haven't had time to look thru bunches of pictures,,,but this may help get you going. Red /red white power wires attach on driver side of glass, brown ground wires attach on pass. side. One long brown goes along bottom to pass. side. there will probably be black jumper wires to join the grounds on pass. side. Maybe this will help you to lay out wires?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Name:  Targa wire 1.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  133.3 KBName:  Targa wire 4.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  143.2 KBName:  Targa wire 5.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  62.1 KBName:  Targa wire 2.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  132.0 KBName:  Targa wire 3.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  109.1 KBName:  Targa wire 6.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  134.1 KBName:  Targa wire 7.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  113.1 KBName:  Targa wire 8.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  142.2 KBName:  targa wire 9.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  123.0 KBName:  Targa wire 10.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  97.5 KBThx Ed and Live, both always great resources and ready to help. I have attached various pics of the harness, old seal (showing holes and "slits"). Will digest what you have stated above. There are 3 separate spade attaching points on each side of the Targa glass. Any thoughts on whether the seal just gets tah 3 holes OR holes and slits.? Thx again to all who have chimed in here

I finally found some pictures, see if these help; I use miniature end cutter and diagonal cutter pliars to make the required slits around each spade connection on the glass edge. I don't show it, but I use a hole punch to make the wire holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by edmayo; 05-13-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.