Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is collecting classic Porsche 911 still enjoyable?

Is collecting classic Porsche 911 still enjoyable?

About 3 months ago, I was fortunate enough to purchase a pristine 1961 Lotus Elite.

What does it have to do with collecting early 911S? (Chuck, please don't put this thread in the "other brands" session!)

I've been collecting early 911/912 Porsche for about 15 years, and the prices have been so high these last few years for good (to very bad cars), that I've began to diversify looking for cars that seemed significant (and fun), costing far less than our favorite brand: a Mini Cooper S from 1967, a Fiat 500 Giardiniera from 1968, and more recently the 1961 Lotus Elite.

My diversification process has been led by the rise in prices (beyond my comfort zone, as I do not consider my hobby an investment), but also by significant disappointments from workshops, restorers, dealers, fairs, etc: Endless repeated delays, huge unexpected bills, non original parts, lack of accuracy, and generally having the recurrent feeling that my "blind passion" was often being taken advantage of.

Don't get me wrong, collecting Porsche cars and automobilia has been huge fun over the years, and I could have probably handled the collecting process differently and be more attentive.

But collecting early 911 was and should be a passionate hobby, where you meet people who share respect and passion for these amazing cars, their driving experience, and not the pursuit of quick financial gains...

In contrast, I was surprised to see how well the Lotus Elite had been restored and the accuracy of the materials used. The elite registry sent me several emails, offered their help, and subscribed me for free to their 100 page newsletter (!). The Elite registry has only about 650 members as only a thousand cars were produced. I even ordered missing screws from MK14 (the lotus elite parts shop online) who simply sent them to me for free. A lot more fun than searching endlessly for an original 1967 S mirror for under $1'500, or walking through the Techno Classica counting the number of soul-less restorations (and probably re-stamped) offered for over 200'000 euros....

I understand that the Porsche classic community is a lot larger and has evolved significantly over the last decade, and there's little that can be done for the rise in prices, but if we don't inject some passion back into the community, we may lose some loyal members to other brands....

Is collecting classic Porsche 911 still enjoyable?

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    In answer to your question ... YES, for me "collecting" is still fun. However, to clarify: it is the owning, maintaining and DRIVING my cars which is central to my enjoyment. The financial appreciation each of my cars have gained recently has not affected the frequency or the way I drive them, it merely makes me grateful that I acquired them before they became unattainable for so many other enthusiasts. I could certainly not afford to buy them all at their current values. The camaraderie that Porsche ownership (especially early cars) garners and the worldwide friendships I have acquired as a result of my hobby and passion for Porsche will provide me fun and enjoyment way into my retirement years. Every marque has its fanatics and as values increase so does the fanaticism. As the values of Elites rises, you may well see the same quirkiness appearing with their restorations and owners as well. My friend has just bought an Elite. I'll let you know if I notice any changes in him!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Well said.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I think now getting into collecting early 911 is not enjoyable except you're nuts. However if you are already into 911 it's still ok.
    But thinking of spending 200k+ for a "standard" car that exists thousands of times when you can have e.g. an early to mid fifties touring bodied alfa 1900ss which is a real looker for the same amount of money that's no question what I'd choose.
    Ok the alfa won't be as sporty or fast as a porsche but you can get your thrills with a modernish lotus seven offspring or similar as an addon to the alfa.
    @thomas congrats to the elite- also a car on my bucket list.
    Last edited by uai; 05-13-2017 at 09:44 AM.

The fun comes from driving them. The enjoyment comes from using the 911.

On he other hand I'm not a single marque person. I've got 2 Porsches, 2 Corvettes and 1 Lola. Each one is unique.

Actually I have too many cars but that's a mistake a lot of us have made. In an ideal world I would have only 2 cars. Every car needs to be driven once a month. There are months when that is hard to do.

Collecting is a strange word. It has so many varied meanings. That's why prefer the word owning.

The one car I wish I had owned was an early '60's Alfa.

Richard Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    Collecting is a strange word. It has so many varied meanings. That's why prefer the word owning. Richard Newton
    Witness how the venerable "garbage collector" has been upgraded to "sanitation technician." We don't have any collectors owning Porsche garbage, do we?

+1. I've taken classic 911 to dozens of rallyes over the years, and driven them to Sicily, Tuscany, Salzburg, Paris, Zuffenhausen, San Francisco, and even Argentina twice. I rarely drive a modern car on my free time if I can avoid it.

But for all the amazing times I've spent behind the wheel of a 911, my early 911 experience was unfortunately shared with some frustrations: waiting for the car to be fixed, only to find out that my "to do list" hasn't been completed. Purchasing parts that don't fit and look wrong. Being told that the restoration would be completed by April, when reality was late October of the following year. Being told by "experts" the car was matching when it was actually re-stamped, and generally dealing with "professionals" that cut corners and can't bother getting early 911 properly sorted to increase profit. The list unfortunately has grown over the years (as the bills....).

Perhaps it's less apparent when dealing with a single car, but several friends of mine have experienced similar level of frustrations in recent years not from their driving experience, but from the lack of good and reliable support in the classic porsche world. At the current price levels, it's hard to justify in my opinion.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

This above i can share Thomas, even being a single car owner.
    I actually think its currently probably better in the US, where it seams a few places (West Cost/Arizona) might offer a superb service.

I also noticed if someone wants to race its (historic) 911, the general knowledge and service is often good.
    The bigger problem lies within restorations, both ground-up restorations and "time-capsules" and how to keep those cars on the road, repair them, replace worn items all the while keeping pieces and cars as originial as possible.

We still "suffer" when 911 were all exchangeable so a 69T shell would be a 73RS or a 72T donor its interior for a 70S...that possibility made general knowledge was lost how Model Years and any detail initially was and its why today knowledge is harder to know again, on both shop as well as the client's side.
    Oh and, ton of "stuff" was just thrown away and today really hard to get again..either as a wrong replacement or at a much more inflated price.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-15-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    Registry member No.773

If you collect these puppies and find it Unenjoyable you have ,,, serious issues

Hi NZVW,

Don't get me wrong I love these puppies and every time I turn the key it's special to me. The Lotus Elite feels like an uncle to the great 911, it must have inspired Porsche in designing and conceiving the 911. Colin Chapman had a lot to contribute to the car world and Porsche's engineers were certainly listening. The driving experience of the Elite is great fun and its drivetrain geniously modern, the handling amazing, but it feels like a fantastic toy, not a sturdy and reliable perfect sports car like the 911 is.

I'm not tired of the 911, I'm just a bit disappointed by its current environment, which probably contributed to my recent interest for other cars....

Sicily, Christmas 2014, 1966 912 sandbeige
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Milou; 05-13-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com