Thread: 69-71 Oil Tank with Sender - Need Pic for Sender Orientation

69-71 Oil Tank with Sender - Need Pic for Sender Orientation

Looking for a good pic that shows the orientation of the sender studs.

I am wanting to try to Retro fit my tank to accept a sending unit. Pacific Oil cooler did not want to tackle it, but will clean it all out again when done.

I have not been able to find the pic I need on the net. Jason at Paragon, suggested I try to see what you guys have in your pic archives or have a tank you can post a pic of.

Also, How are the studs attached to the tank ? , see any reason I could not use nutserts to mount the studs, or is it too tight a fit on the inside to get the sender in ?, better ideas ?

Thanks

If you just drill holes for the sender to enter and somehow mount studs, it will probably leak. The tank needs to have a thick flange for strength and to provide a ridgid flat surface for the gasket to seat against. I think your time and money will be better spent sourcing a correct tank.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have tried to find a tank, but have not been able too. The reproductions appear to be without the sender provision. If you know otherwise, I would welcome your insights. I have tried, Sierra Madre, Stoddard and Pelican.

I think you are saying that the tank has a steel band with the studs in it, then the band is welded to the tank body ?. More difficult to fab, but only about $150 vs. as a brand new tank.
    Have a full machine shop at my disposal through a good friend. Not trying to be cheap.

When I got the car it was in pieces, but no tank to be found, almost everything else was there. So, before doing enough research, I found a good tank on Pelican and sent it to Pacific oil cooler along with the oil cooler for refurb. Now I realize I messed up. Porsche left the dimple in the tank, so not thinking its that difficult. But at the same time, this is my first resto Porsche project.

How about this one at D C Automotive https://dc-automotive.myshopify.com/...nt=10414418371
    looks like it has the sender opening. Also try Aase in Ohio.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Keep the tank intact and paint an orange line on the oil level gauge!

Seriously, the level sender is historically unreliable-- the dipstick is a lot better and easier to integrate into the preflight routine.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Keep the tank intact and paint an orange line on the oil level gauge!

Seriously, the level sender is historically unreliable-- the dipstick is a lot better and easier to integrate into the preflight routine.

This is, with out a doubt, the best advice you could get. I agree 100%!

Regards

Jim