Thread: Reverse backup switch

Reverse backup switch

Hi folks,

Getting ready to drop the engine. How do you disconnect the leads to the reverse switch. The whole fitting unscrews but causes the wires to become twisted. I don't want to pull too hard on the leads.

Tahnks,Name:  P1040866.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  270.2 KB
    J P
    69 911T 2.4L w' 2.2S/E cams/Webers

Quote Originally Posted by JPM View Post
    I don't want to pull too hard on the leads.
    Pull too hard on the leads.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

You can put a block of wood against the case to give your hand or wrist some leverage. You can try needle-nose pliers, but you'll crimp the wires doing so.
    Those switches aren't cheap, so try to avoid breaking the plastic around the wire leads, which is already chipped.
    If you're to the point of wasting valuable time, you can decide if twisting the wires, breaking the switch plastic or snipping the wires and moving on is more practical.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Pins inserted in the switch are soldered onto the wire leads. They should just pull out.

A little knowledge goes a long way. The pins pulled out with no big effort. I'm glad I didn't unscrew the fitting or I would have been covered in trans fluid! I wish the original instructions had mentioned "pins" rather than just saying "disconnect leads". Thanks guys.
    J P
    69 911T 2.4L w' 2.2S/E cams/Webers

Aren't they good old fashioned bullet connectors, somewhere on Porsches since day one?
    Last edited by steve shea; 05-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Aren't they good old fashioned bullet connectors, somewhere on Porsches since day one?
    They're the same bullet connectors you find on 356s. At least on newer 356s; on my '58 most of the connections are clamped with screws.

A few years ago I had to change that switch on my 911. For whatever reason, the bad switch in my car had "modern" spade terminals and the replacement required soldered-on bullet terminals like JPM's.

I cut off the old connectors and soldered on some bullet connectors I had left over from installing a new ignition switch in my 356A.

It seems every time I have to solder bullet connectors onto wires I have to do it on my back looking up at the wires.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet