Thread: How to fit aftermarket Recaro sport seat to oem 1973 slider base

How to fit aftermarket Recaro sport seat to oem 1973 slider base

Guys,
    I feel as if I am in the "dead horse in the Dean's office" scene from 'Animal House'.

I am trying to fit what I reasonably feel is an aftermarket Recaro, lookalike sport seat onto an OEM Porsche original 1973 double lock slider base.

But the seat won't fit the base because the aftermarket seat left to right spacing on the mounting tabs is 405 mm and the left to right spacing on the OEM slider base (8mm by 1.25 bolts) is 395 mm.

Before I reach for the official Animal House chain saw to make a 10 mm adjustment (and perhaps end up on double secret probation), I am thinking that maybe there is a better way.

1. Does anyone make an aftermarket 1973 look alike slider base but with 405 mm spacing? Or,

2. Do I need to tear apart the after market seat, cut it down to make it 10 mm narrower and then re weld so that the mounting tabs are now 395 mm. left to right? or,

3. Fabricate or buy a new hinged portion of the oem Porsche but with 405 mm spacing? I refuse to cut up a perfectly good original slider/base

I am hoping that some one has previously solved this problem. Thanks.

John
    73 S with Sporto
    991.2 without sporto
    69 912 with 90 neck snapping, heart thumping, adrenaline pumping horsepower

John, I would start by calling the guy who made the seat! HE SHOULD have an answer !!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

If it is a Recaro Aftermarket periode correct sports seat, it would have come with slider directly mounted to the seat, so that you may use a fixed base.

That's how a 395mm original 911 sportseat mounted on a fixed base for an aftermarket 405mm seat would look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dirk07; 05-24-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Ed, Yeah, I know. But when I contacted the guy after I bought the seat on Ebay (about 10 years ago), he told me that as far as he knew the seat should/would fit a standard Porsche slider/base. At the time, I just decided to terminate the conversation with him, rather than tax my marginal social skills (not to mention self control), and make things work. The guy was a conflagrating sphincter muscle

Dirk, Thanks for your help on this. I understand your point. I have another aftermarket Recaro with the sliders attached to the seat and the slider/seat combination attached to a fixed base. But this seat has mounting tabs the same as the stock oem Porsche sport seat with no provisions that I can see to attached sliders to the seat. Which means that I need a slider/base, the same way the stock sport seats need a slider/base.

I guess the better solution on this is to wait until my kid shows up next month and have him attach pictures.

John

The easy fix is the stock recaro sliders that fit the spacing required, available on ebay, or probably modern recaro sliders work too... then wedge brackets (that's a brand) to take what dirk shows above to fit the mints in the car. I'd offer you a set I had sitting around, except another member borrowed them and never returned nor paid for them, so I can't help. They are available at fairly low prices.

It seems you can even get the sliders from wedge. http://wedgebrackets.com/porsche-911...-brackets.html
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Thanks Sonnet.

Because this is a spare seat (and base), I am not in too much of a hurry. My latest idea is to see if I can find a machine shop who can make a 405 mm sized piece that is just the hinged part that attaches to the seat. I figure if I pop the pins out of the oem sport seat base and remove from the slider/base the piece that mounts to the sport seat, I can take it to a machine shop and say "Can you make a duplicate of this but 10 mm wider"?. That way I have all the appearance of an original base underneath an aftermarket Recaro. And I do not need to tear open a seat. Plus I have the original 395 mm piece if I ever find another oem sport seat.

Not sure what the cost might be compared to a Wedge slider/base, but we shall see. As the News casters used to say: "Film at 11".

Thanks again to all.

John