Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnyard Find

Barnyard Find

Hi,

First of all a caveat from this first time poster ... although I've owned/own several late model Porsches, I know nothing of classic Porsches nor about classic vehicle restoration, so please be gentle.

The story:

A good friend recently moved into what is politely referred to as a transitional neighborhood. He ran into a neighbor down the street who used to be a car salesman in the 80s or something who said that he has a 1967 Porsche 911S that's been collecting dust for decades that he'd be willing to sell.

So we decided to go take a look at it today. As you'll see in the pics the whole situation is out of a movie. It took about half an hour to remove all the crap on and around the car for us to take a look at it.

Here's the information I have.

- We don't think it's a 1967, nor a S, the title says 1966 and I believe they made just a handful of Ss in 66.

- 65xxx miles (for what it is worth)

- 5 speed

- VIN# 302038

- Engine# 902196

- We're told it used to be blue but had been repainted red.

- Rust everywhere. Not just in the pics you'll see but tons of it under the dashboard as well, so presumably everywhere we can't see. The interior is beyond shot.

So here are the questions I have, and maybe you guys can either help me track the answers or point me to someone that could.

1. First and foremost I need to find out exactly what it is. It appears that VINs of that period aren't as specific as the ones today so different trims and model years of the same model weren't differentiated. My understanding is that the people that give out the certificates of authenticity won't do it unless one is the titled owner. Does anyone know how to get a true reading on this VIN?

2. Equally as important is finding out if the engine number matches the VIN ... again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Is it restorable or has it decayed beyond the point of no return?

4. Who are the go to restoration shops that this car should head to? I would like to talk to them before I buy the car to get an estimate on what it would cost to restore to concours level.

5. I've been looking at the Hagerty's valuation tool and a 66 in excellent condition is about $150k concours condition is about $200k. Assuming it is a 66 what do you think it is worth in its current condition?

6. Since the classic Porsche restoration world isn't one I know anything about ... is there anything else that I should be looking at and considering that I don't know about?

Fundamentally I need to know if I found something special and if it is worth pursuing, both for the fun of restoring it and driving it, but also as an investment.

Thanks.

Serge

The pics:

Early vin s

Looks to be earlier than a '66. Cliff
    http://www.911specs.com/VIN60s911.htm

Car vin is 1965 Which is very good. It appears to have its original seats and it has had the original carbs and breather replaced. THat is 12K to replace.
    THe rust you are showing in the pictures is nothing. These are brought back from swiss cheese How is it under neath? Holes in the bottom? Battery box? Fenders?
    Worth restoring for sure. Good restorations are 150 to 200K and worth 250 to 280 done. (if the engine matches) In todays recessed market. All of this info is speculative. Contact a more senior member of this site and ask for some advise. My best advise is buy it as cheap as possible. It needs everything
    Inquire on this site about obtaining a Kardex it will tell you all of the original critical numbers. If it matches WHoo hooo
    Nice find either way

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    It needs everything
    Everything except the Pierburg pump and Solex snorkel. Interesting that they retained those with the Weber conversion.

Randy is spot on with values although 280 would be strong for a late 65; early 65, maybe.

Good luck with your negotiations.
    Hopefully the seller hasn't read too many whoppers on the interweb.

Hi Serge

the others have given you good advice
    You do need to get a Kardex - there are a couple of people on the board who can do this for you for a small cost - search for kardex
    That is the official warranty document held by the factory that shows what it really is, the numbers etc.
    what I can tell you however from my database is that 302030 was completed on 30 July 1965 and had engine number 902131. It is RHD so maybe a bit out of sequence; 302035 had engine number 902148 and was Bali Blue 6412; and 302039 had engine number 902157 and was also Bali blue and completed on 29 July 1965. All of these are considered (very late) 1965 model year cars whereas cars completed from Mid August that are MY 66

So from that your mention of blue is probably correct as they seem to have been painted in batches at least for standard colours. Also the engine number is in the ballpark but far enough away from the cars either side that it would be imperative to get a confirmation before transacting. As a matter of interest, and to show how far the engine numbers and dates can vary, 302023, was produced on August 6 but still a 65 MY car and had engine number 902193 but 302129, a 66 MY car made in late August had 902194.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks everyone.

I'm having a hard time locating which members provide the Kardex service ... would someone be kind enough to pint me in the right direction?

You can PM me and I will give you some pointers on where to go for Kardex and who is the best IMO source for advice.
    If you are willing you can tell me what the owners asking price is and I will guide you on buy no buy. That is your choice cheers

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    You can PM me and I will give you some pointers on where to go for Kardex and who is the best IMO source for advice.
    If you are willing you can tell me what the owners asking price is and I will guide you on buy no buy. That is your choice cheers
    You will have to provide email or phone. Or wait until soulsea posts 10 times...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

You can contact me for Kardex assistance; kardex@bell.net
    This appears to be a very late 1965 model going by the flat knee pad; the 1966 curls up at the ends of the dash into a U shape overall.
    Original paint is probably 6412 Bali Blue. Look for the code on the left door hinge post.
    The engine # looks to be appropriate.
    Last edited by davep; 04-26-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Awesome find and welcome to the ESR board! Yes that is a late 65. Congrats!

Count on 100k to finish it correctly so base your offer with that in mind. Somehow they all end up there. Body and engine are the big ones. Do it right the first time if you plan on going the restoration route. Good work is not cheap, cheap work is not good.

Keep us posted, please!

~J~
    air cooled only