Thread: WTB: door catch pin?

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

WTB: door catch pin?

I need the small pin that catches the door from going out to far. someone put a 6mm bolt in there and it pops back and forth when you open the door. I cant find anything used. Thanks guys!
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Clewell View Post
    I need the small pin that catches the door from going out to far. someone put a 6mm bolt in there and it pops back and forth when you open the door. I cant find anything used. Thanks guys!
    You haven't tried very hard

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    You haven't tried very hard

haha no, not very hard. Its not critical.
    -Kris Clewell

As an FYI, when the pin slots wear, it has been suggested to replace the pin with a bolt and nylok nut, for the purpose of stopping the infamous door check "pop". Only temporally worked for me. Didn't mean to derail your WTB or knowing that Jim has plenty.

I actually tried that, but it seemed to stiffen up the operation of the door.
    -Kris Clewell

Shift Knob Maker
    The problem is that the two tabs that are part of the body have holes in them that get elongated and sloppy. The door stay arm is a little thicker piece and they are often replace so the hole in that piece is still round and the correct diameter. When you install the correct diameter pin, it is sloppy in the body and fine in the stay arm. Then the stay arm moves around causing the clicking.

You can't put a bolt in and tighten it because the stay arm needs to be able to pivot as the door moves.

The holes in the body tabs need to be made round again using a drill or reamer, then the hole in the stay are enlarged to the same size. Then a pin of that diameter needs to be found / made and installed. Because the tabs on the body are very close to the door jamb it make getting those holes round again a bit tricky.

Mark..

good idea mark!
    -Kris Clewell