Thread: Road trip to the Emory's Campout

Road trip to the Emory's Campout

The Emory's are having their campout July 14th and 15th in McMinnville, Oregon. I'll be driving from Cincinnati and I'm looking for companions, advice, and friends to see on the way.

My plan so far is to leave Cincinnati on Sunday July 8th for Louisville, KY to meet up with Tony Proasi for lunch and then to Mt Vernon, IL by late afternoon to spend some time with my son. It will be a short day mileage wise, and I'll be able to spend almost all of it off the interstates.
    The rest of the trip is pretty open. Some barbecue in Kansas city might be a good lunch stop on day 2. I'm planning on ending day 4 in Wendover, Utah. It's a month early for Speed Week, but a pilgrimage to Bonneville sounds good.
    I'm counting on the Northwest group to help me plan days 5 and 6. Crossing Oregon on Hwys 31 and 58 looks promising.

Anyone want to join me for all or part of the trip? What are the good roads I shouldn't miss? Must see places on the way? Meals with friends old and new would really make the trip. I'll buy the first round.

Alan

From Wendover keep heading west for about 50 miles to Wells NV. Take rte. 93 north to Twin Falls ID. Then west on I84 through Boise to Ontario OR. Then west through Burns to Bend. From Bend two choices. West through Sisters, over the mountains and hit the freeway north toward Portland and find McMinnville on your way. Instead I would go north from Bend to Government Camp and MT Hood. Check out the famous Timberline Lodge while there. This year it is really spectacular with loads of snow up high. From Gov. Camp down to Sandy toward Portland and find your way to McMinnville. 93 north is nice fast high desert cruising. Then once in Ontario same thing really fast, fun high desert roads. Then more of the same to the alpine roads around Hood. On your drive in from Burns to Bend if clear weather you should have really great views of the southern part of the Ring of Fire. All those dormant Volcanoes are loaded with last winter's snow! I've driven both routes many times to and from Emory's as well as MT Hood for work. I never got tired of the high desert driving. Then you get to go home through the northern route, more fun roads.
    Last edited by steve shea; 05-30-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I will be departing Dallas and head toward a northern route. My first night target Laramie, WY. That is a hard push first day of approximately 900mi. Then continue 287N to Grand Teton NP and then Jackson Hole. Then through Bend to McMinnville.
    Let me know if this would be of interest to you.
    Way home will be fastest route.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Bob,
    I'm in. Good traveling companion beats the salt flats every time. Mt. Vernon, IL to Laramie is 1000 miles, so I'll break that into 2 days and look for good driving roads. Maybe 2 10 hour days; Mt Vernon to Hayes, KS on day 1 and Colorado Springs to Laramie on day 2 on what look like great roads through the National Forests to Laramie.
    Any thoughts on Steve's suggestions from Bend to McMinnville?
    My current plan is to drive to LA after the campout and leave my car there, so I'm not planning on driving back east.

Anyone else want to join up?
    Other suggestions for a good driving route from Mt Vernon, IL, near St. Louis, and Laramie WY?

Please document your journey and share pics! Happy Motoring.

Will do. I'm a digital dinosaur and this will be my chance to enter the 21st century. Driving solo I'm planning on having a video camera running and lots of cell phone pictures when I stop. Wish I was a better photographer.

C Springs to Laramie will not take anywhere near 10 hours. Maybe 3 or 31/2 unless you hit Denver rush hours. If you want a big day go all the way to Lander via 287. It is a beautiful drive with good views of the Wind River Mt. range. Lander is a nice little town to spend the night. Go to the Lander Bar and Cowfish restaurant. From Lander go north the west to Dubois and up and over Togwotee Pass. Then on in to Jackson. 3hrs.

As you pass Fort Collins on 25, look for Owl Creek Canyon rd. Get off there and take it west about 10/15 min to 287 then directly in to Laramie. Much nicer than the freeway 25. You will have great views of the Front Range, Never Summer Mts. and the Snowy Range in Medicine Bow Natl Forest.

The fastest to Jackson from Laramie is 80 to Rock Springs then north through Pinedale. About 51/2 hrs. We have civilized speed limits of 80/85, pretty quick trip if you want to get to Jackson fast and avoid midsummer Winnebago traffic.
    Last edited by steve shea; 06-04-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club