Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New VDM Steering Wheel won't go on fully (1966 911) ?

New VDM Steering Wheel won't go on fully (1966 911) ?

Replacing a non-stock momo with a VDM wheel on my 66 911 and it will not go on fully. I dont want to force it as it might not ever come off. Any suggestions or others with fitment problems on these VDM wheels? Got this one from Sierra Madre.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by cparsons View Post
    Replacing a non-stock momo with a VDM wheel on my 66 911 and it will not go on fully. I dont want to force it as it might not ever come off. Any suggestions or others with fitment problems on these VDM wheels? Got this one from Sierra Madre.

Chuck
    Please post a good picture of your column. You must have something wrong with the splined portion of your column.

Regards

Jim

PhotosName:  20170601_182030.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  20170601_182853.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  61.0 KBName:  20170601_182853.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  61.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

you will be hard pressed to get any meaningful measurements of the spline with calipers, look for deformation dents, burrs & such, could you post a pic to see haw far off you are on seating the wheel, may give a better idea as to how far off it is,

Regards

Jerry, Agreed not to mention that the calipers dont perfectly line up as the jaws have to be able to bypass each other during operation. Measuring the MOMO it does appear to have tollerances much closer "nearly identical" to the shaft. No matter how i position the calipers i cant get any readings close to 21.45 or so on the new wheel. I feel pretty confident that the OD of the shaft measurement is 21.45mm + as measured on peaks of splines. I plan to drive to Sierra Madre tomorrow with both wheels. I dont plan on bringing the car or the shaft. I have tried to "chase the splines with a micro fine machinist file which passes cleanly in each groove on the wheel. The Momo fits in multiple orientations so there isnt a clock issue either? Visually the shaft grooves are deeper than the new wheel. (Depth of broaching). This is the factory shaft in the car so.......

sounds like maybe a reproduction wheel?
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Yes the VDM is a reproduction wheel. I dont want to spend many thousands on an original wheel. The VDM wheel is very nice looking and reportedly very comparable to an original wheel. No doubt we will sort it out somehow.
    Chuck 1966 911

Name:  20170603_113923.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  141.5 KB

Done
    Chuck 1966 911

What was the issue?
    Is the horn button a reproduction also?