Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate shaft on 1968 aluminium engine

Intermediate shaft on 1968 aluminium engine

Hi,

The oil plug on my intermediate shaft is deeply recessed, and am wondering if this matters, and if it does, is there a fix, can this be machined out and replaced? Has anyone done this? Or is this a case source replacement?

Thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Quote Originally Posted by Richsmith901 View Post
    The oil plug on my intermediate shaft is deeply recessed, and am wondering if this matters, and if it does, is there a fix, can this be machined out and replaced?
    Rich, the plug should not be that deeply recessed, and it appears to be blocking the passage of oil to the rear journal.
    You need to remove it, and determine if it's the correct plug for that intermediate shaft.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Rich, the plug should not be that deeply recessed, and it appears to be blocking the passage of oil to the rear journal.
    You need to remove it, and determine if it's the correct plug for that intermediate shaft.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    And Jon B would definitely know.

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    And Jon B would definitely know.
    Is there a place where I can buy a new plug?
    Or is this a case of getting a new plug machined?

How is it best removed? Heat and puller or drill out?

Many thanks for helping, Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Rich,

The 16mm plugs for post-67 intermediate shafts should still be available from Porsche, part number 901.105.275.00.
    You could easily make one as well.

Your shaft is somewhat of a transition version, so I would first remove that plug and investigate why it became so deeply recessed. There should be a step in the bore to prevent it from doing so.
    You can drill a hole into the plug, tap it for screw threads, and then use a screw to remove it. Most removable plugs have screw threads for this purpose (not open to the other side, of course).

Name:  DSCN1017.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  83.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Super helpful, thanks, with the part in your picture, the threaded hole is larger than the hole in my plug, is that going to be a problem ? I guess one option wound be to tread a price of Alu, drill a hole in the centre to reduce the diameter of the hole on new part to match original. What do you think?

Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Jon's plug is for later shaft with thrust bearings. The thrust in early shafts like yours, was contained with a shimmed steel cover, so the small hole is there to lube that contact with the cover. Gordon

I had to go through a few boxes of old parts to find a pre-68 intermediate shaft.

The diameter of this plug is 21mm, and is installed 19mm from the rear face of the shaft. It does not have a retaining clip, and was not designed to be removed.
    Rich, is the plug bore of your shaft 16mm, or 21mm?

Name:  DSCN1019.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  63.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Here is page E 94 of the 911 Workshop Manual.
    It describes the drilling and removal of plugs from early intermediate shafts, and instructions for fabricating a removal tool.

Name:  DSCN1020.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  70.7 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I will get measurements tomorrow, a circlip is visible, as is a step in the internal diameter of the shaft. Could the shaft be one of those "it's a 68 thing?"

Thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393