Thread: Rear window wiper not parking

Rear window wiper not parking

I drove in to some bad weather this weekend and had to test the wipers. I had some trouble with the rear wiper. Every time I shut off the rear wiper it stoped immediatley at some random spot on the windshield I couldnt get the rear wiper to park in the correct position. So whats the problem? Is it in the wiper motor?

Best Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 06-19-2017 at 01:41 AM.

The mechanism that parks the arm is straight forward. I must warn you about servicing the rear wiper. If you tinker with the operation and try and close the back engine lid with the wiper linkage in the wrong spot it is possible to have the linkage hit the body and damage it. Look before you close the lid!

Thanks for the tip

Best Nick

Maybe best to remove the wiper arm and mark it for resting and full sweep positions? That way your paintwork doesnt get scratched.
    Last edited by Haasman; 06-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Yes removing the wiper arm could help but there is linkage behind the panel connected to the motor that can foul the body.

Thank you for the warning. I will be very careful when I'm trying to fix the rear wiper. I do not want to create more worries than I already have

Best Nick

There has to be one wire, probably red and or some combination thereof, (don't have my diagram here now) that is powered with the key in off position. This feeds power to the motor to carry the armature to a park position where it will break contact. If you don't have a powered wire to the motor this needs to solved first.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed is right on, as usual. There are two wires that carry 12V to the motor, one is always on and the other is only on when you turn on the switch. There is a small cam on the motor that pushes a rod to break contact with the "always on" wire. This can also be accomplished with contacts that follow a rotating disc in the motor that has copper traces on it, and a space for the park position. When you turn off the wipers, the "always on" contact will carry the motor to the park position, where the pushrod breaks the connection. When you turn on the switch, the power to the motor on the other wire carries the motor past the park position and turns on the wipers. Make sure you have 12V to the "always on" wire.
    This would probably be a good time to take the motor apart and make sure there is grease in the gearbox and oil on the motor bushings. Also take some time to clean the contacts inside the motor.
    Bob B

I Love this forum, thx for all help.
    I think I'll need to find a new wiring harness for the rear wiper. Have any one tried to order by kroonwireharnesses.com ?

Best Nick

Consensus here that Kroon does very good work. Or you could try Dennis Powell, AKA "timmy2" on the forum.
    Bob B