Thread: Bosch cdi three pin box -- replacement for the three pin connector

Bosch cdi three pin box -- replacement for the three pin connector

Hi I have a couple of old cdi units with 72 Bosch date code that I keep as spare to my car's original. They work and are generally good condition for age and work but the plastic insulation of three pin connector itself is cracked on one the other is chipped. Has anyone a source for replacement of just that three pin socket -- the stock item.

I know modern upgrades are available but I would just like to refurb them just replacing damaged connector part...Not looking to upgrade to the redesigned internals using box that some of my friends use at present. Maybe new one or even usable undamaged discarded ones if box connection were being upgraded and old connector is redundant ?

USA sources great but European/ uk sources might be easier as I'm in U.K.

Thanks

member #1515
    Have you tried Kroon?
    https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Steve,

i think Kroon sell a reproduction.

Dave

Thanks both. I'll look into Kroon in more detail. They have the cables that connect to item in question but not sure I've seen the plastic male end that is integral to the cdi box. I'll call them.

Cheers

CD socket

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Thanks both. I'll look into Kroon in more detail. They have the cables that connect to item in question but not sure I've seen the plastic male end that is integral to the cdi box. I'll call them.

Cheers
    Two words; JB Weld

Restoration newbie.
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Andy looks like it should be although that picture looks a little different. The three gaps? Maybe it is same just different orientation. Haven't opened either of my spare CDI units up yet but from the external view it looks exactly like black plastic part in this old web photo of somone's already open unit below. That is the black plastic connector I'm after because there is damage on both my spares -- in both cases damage to the lip topmost on the shot.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 266
Size:  29.1 KB
    Thanks for link. It seems like it ought to be part but looks different shape?
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  49.8 KB
    Here is rather dark pic showing damage to lip - worst condition of my two spares. Suspect it would still fit in a pinch if something happened to original on car but worth repairing it if connector part available.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  44.5 KB

The Bosch production date stamp numbers on the finned cases are all Bosch 23x signifying 1972 production. Was there variation of this three pin connector component -- internals definitely changed over time ?

They're gathering dust but I'll will sort them out -- other spare is not so damaged but prefer to do it properly without resorting the helpful suggestion of using the plastic weld goop in tube, if replacement part available?

Cheers

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-23-2017 at 03:45 AM.

What about Parts Klassic,,,,they make their own copy of the Bosch casting, they must have the plug receiver?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for suggestion Ed. Coincidentally had a similar thought. Jonny Hart in UK does a modern electronic replacement so I've emailed him today to see if he has suitable any connectors kicking around. If I'd thought about it before I could have asked him in person at DDK pub meeting in Cobham Surrey on Weds but he was pulling out in his very distinctive gold car before I saw him. I'll try your US Parts Klasik suggestion if local to me Jonny comes up blank.

While I'm about it maybe I should just get one of my two spares upgraded. Ideally just internally so keeping the original Bosch box. It would be an easily reversible back to the original factory fitted one and not conspicuous appearance change if mod used a vintage case -- an upgrade to modern electronics that I hear from several friends they thought worthwhile on their early 911.

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-23-2017 at 04:20 AM.

THis is what you're looking for:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-pin-connector

Olivier.