Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the correct seatbelts for a 1968 911S SWT (Euro)

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar

What are the correct seatbelts for a 1968 911S SWT (Euro)

Hello Gentlemen,

What would be the correct seatbelts used for a very early 1968 911S (euro) Targa? Car was Completed late '67.

Thank you.

Jay
    @aircooledph on Instagram

There are several brands used, depending on markets. And within a market, again several brands are possible, since dealer installed. For exemple, up to 3 brands were available and installed for Switzerland, Klippan was one of them.

In general, ROW markets adapted seat belts later than the US market and the mandatory equipment laws stipulated by the US came into use in RoW markets much later, and not all markets adjusted to it the same years.

Seat belts however were an option from 1965 on but you need to know the Kardex to know if it was ordered when the car was new.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 06-26-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    Registry member No.773

On my '68S, German market, July '67 build, seatbelts were specified on the Kardex, but when I purchased the car, some much later 3" harnesses were fitted, so I've always been intrigued as to what it would have been fitted with originally.

As I have seatbelts specified on the kardex, does this confirm factory fit as opposed to dealer fit, and if so, as per the question in the OP, what would have been 'correct'?

Most common I have seen for this period are the Hickok 2-point non-retractable lap belts, chrome buckle, Porsche crest in centre.

Regards,

Mike.
    Mikey C. ESR Membership #3333
    http://www.mceporsche.com

Hickocks were a dealer installed American accessory.....a factory accessory belt would come most likely from a European manufacturer/supplier. Someone in the registry must have a '67-'68 accessory brochure that would show the "factory" accessory belts. "Correct" is going to be a very relative term on a Euro delivery car built before mandatory belts.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Good guidance, thank-you. Looks like Jay and I need to see the '67-'68 Euro accessories brochure........

mid 1960's Porsche seat belts

The seat belts supplied by Porsche and noted on the Kardex is believed to be TEKA manufactured.
    The TEKA with the black Plastic latch cover has been seen with the fabric strap in grey/green, silver and black.
    The Sicherheitsgurte Safety Belt and the Schragschultergurt Diagonal Safety Belt were available.

USA Dealers supplied Hickok, Superior Industry and American Safety plus other brands.

The TEKA with it's metal latch was offered in the Accessory Catalog.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 06-26-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar
    The inputs have been extremely helpful. Thanks everyone who chimed in. I'm wondering if they ever installed lapbelts on Targas.

Best next step would be to get a KARDEX just to be sure.

Thanks.

Jay
    @aircooledph on Instagram

USA seat belt offerings

American Safety buckle and label - note date stamp.

Hickok Label - note date stamp.

Superior Industries buckle.

"Hickok" was manufactured by American Safety Co.

(Thanks to all the photographers for posting these detail photos on this site - that I have blatantly assembled and posted here -)
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Has anyone ever seen a part number for this item?

These were on a 1964 911 and allowed the TEKA seat belt to have a convenient holding place.

One of the photos show this item still in use on a much newer (1970's or 1980's) car. Does anyone have these in their car?
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Great detailed information, thank-you, Bob. This matches well with my Kardex description of '2P. Becken-Schragschultergurt li.re.', which I can now see translates to '2 diagonal-plus-lap type safety belts, left and right'. Perfect.

My quest for a pair of TEKA Becken-Schragschultergurts begins here........! (A quick web-search reveals they are not easy to find - no surprise there then!)

Jay, sorry to hijack your post. I hope your original question has also been answered?

Regards,

Mike.