Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early911SRegistry/RGruppe Coffee and Doughnutfest Sat, July 1

Early911SRegistry/RGruppe Coffee and Doughnutfest Sat, July 1

Yup, we will be doling out coffee and doughnuts starting at 9:00AM. Parking on Harlan St. is usually gone by 8:00AM. Not a worry except if you want to be near the Doughnuts. We would appreciate folks leaving Harlan St for Porsches, only. There is plenty of safe, nearby parking, on Park St. (Just to the NorthWest in front of Pixar). Fantasy Junction will be open for visitors, too. Saturday should be a bit foggy in the early AM giving way to sunshine and temps in the mid 70s, in other words, a perfect EastBay day.

Regards

Jim
    RGruppe Clubhouse Custodian

this is what it looks like in the AM. You can see the overflow parking on Park St. at the 52 second spot. Pretty good lay of the land.

https://www.facebook.com/derfaszinat...?fref=mentions

Regards

Jim

Hey man, that's way cool dude!
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by 1968DT View Post
    Hey man, that's way cool dude!

Thanks. We get some pretty talented photogs every month, drone pilots? Not so much.......
    That was pretty special.
    Let's post some really good stuff, tomorrow morning!

Ciao

Jim

Part of the crowd that showed up this morning
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry for the delay, but I forgot that the Tour de France started yesterday - when I got home from EASY my wife had a wonderful italian anti-pasta lunch ready for us and we watched the entire, live early-morning taped broadcast of the prologue - I know, decadent, pretentious, and all the other nasty things you want to say about it, but Boy OH boy, did I ever enjoy it.

What can you say about the first-Saturday-of-the-month R Gruppe / Early 911S Registry member get-to-gether at E.A.S.Y that hasn't been mentioned / praised a million times already.................the usual stellar turnout, new people, new cars, new marques of collector cars, new dogs, and, as Jim pognosticated - cool weather in the early AM, turning into the expected warm, sunny morning. The ideal way to start a wonderful weekend among friends, ccol cars, fresh pastry and great hot coffee. I have long surpressed my natural propensity to philosophize and pontificate about EASY Saturdays for a long time, but at this time just wanted to observe and comment how, in my opinion, this event has so efforlessly and seamlessly morphed from a very narrow one-dimensional, dictatorially run Club gathering into a much more broadly enjoyable, generally accessible and civilized cars & coffee style gathering on so many levels with something for a far wider spectrum of sincerely and genuinely interested car-guys. Seems we're no longer just ritually celebrating an artificially and narrowly defined 'sports-purpose' slice of the 911 community with politics and cliques ruling behaviour and the guest list / cars, but rather, simply getting together and having an extremely pleasant time among people who all seem to vibrate at similar frequencies. Thanks again Jim for offering you're iconic quarters / facilities for the enjoyment of those who take you up on your invitation. When I'm finally too old, feeble and curmudgeonly, or just not physically near enough to reasonably and enthusiastically attend this unique event I shall be much the poorer for it................and I'm dreading that day.

Photo #2 is of an old friend parked in front of some metal 'art' one of the attendees brought and displayed, followed by the unusual sight of an impact-bumper car with hood-mounted lights,............ and to forestall the inevitable, endless speculation about which blue we're looking at, a beautifully preserved Albert Blue early car which the new & happy owner acquired recently in an even-up trade for for his 997.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Good to see the old friend, John...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Sorry for the day-long interruption, but had some unannounced guests pop in.

Next set - a close-up of the metal work presented, an MGB all tarted up for an upcoming Rally that only accepts cars valued at under $500 - this owner received the car for free and made it run............just like the 24 Hours du LeMons, in fact, I believe the Rally is organized by the same folks.

A 4-year old Greatr Dane, the "Gentle Giant", who made a lot of friends with his sweetness and frindly demeanor, what a magnificent specimen............and a few more of the interseting cars on display.

Re photo #10, by 9:00 AM it was fairly impossible to find a parking spot within 2 Blocks of EASY............no matter how 'cool' a 911 you brought.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

As I said at the beginning, this is getting to be such a wonderfully diverse and well attended event - yesterday we were treated to an unusual number of interesting BMWs. Easily my personal favorite was the immaculate silver '71 2002 with the original engine swapped out for a later 4-cylinder M motor making about twice the HP. Neat. clean, professionally done and well-appointed. Reminded me of the only 'Beemer' I ever owned, a '72 2002 Tii in lime green metallic. Lovely machine !

Next, one of the expensive, all-electric i8s - far from my favorite BMW available today.

Ending with two more images of another '71 2002, this one powered by a late '80s in-line 6-cylinder BMW motor.

The first three images are of another mid '70s BMW, this time a car that was never imported into this country, a Europe-only moidel with a rather different rear-end treatment than the standard 2-door sedan.

Followed by my favorite Ferrari - nee Dino - V8 model, the Bertone designed 308 GTB4.

One of the delightful early E-series Mercedes-Benz with the 5-liter V8 from the S series. These cars were individually trucked from M-B to the Stuttgart Porsche werks to have the powertrain and most of the running gear installed before being trucked back to M-B for completion - in my view the last of the great, handbuilt M-B 'panzers' , not to mention that at the price you can find these for they're an unbelievable bargain these days.