Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consider . . .

Consider . . .

. . . 'America is Not the Greatest Country on Earth' . . .

. . . from The Newsroom . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-06-2017 at 06:22 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    I liked him better in Dumb and Dumber.

Rick,
    In terms of America not being "as great" as it once was, I suspect that you and I are on different ends of the spectrum as to why this may be true.

Take a hard look at your liberal politics, agendas, and positions and let us know what you would do to get this country back on course.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 07-03-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . I suspect that you and I are on different ends of the spectrum as to why this may be true . . .

Hm

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink I mentioned to you once --- that my politics are WAY too toxic for public display

As for 'liberal' --- well . . . here's one of my favorite quotes . . .

People who cast votes decide nothing

People who count votes decide everything

.......................................J Stalin

Now THAT was a Guy who knew how to get stuff done

Consider

We Can Be Heroes

Lightbulb

Rick,

Consider the position you're putting me in to moderate this off topic topic, to try keep it a-political...

Consider most of the folks on this car-centric board are smart enough to be interested in these great old German cars, or have the ware with all to have one, or both..... So, by implication we should be savvy enough to deal with this topic a-politically.... But alas, with our intellect and interests comes an almost an equal amount of passion.... goes with the territory.

Consider the passion for us intelligent and interested folks with the charged topic you presented..... And how exactly does this topic not become political in this politically charged country and not go down in flames like so many before it ?

Or maybe that was your intent....

The rules are no politics, no religion...

Passion is good, intelligence is good, and interests are good........Against my better judgement lets see how long this thread will last.......

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    . . . Consider the passion for us intelligent and interested folks with the charged topic you presented..... And how exactly does this topic not become political in this politically charged country and not go down in flames like so many before it ? . . .
    Hey, Chuck . . .

There's no particular plan with this thread --- and, although I suppose I am looking for some responses . . . it isn't about any one topic

There's stuff that goes on --- and that I think about . . . and not in any 'for' or 'against' kinda way . . . that I look for a place to ruminate about --- hence the title . . .

. . . 'consider'

But I see your point --- = no argument . . . + no politics

'Nother post coming

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    A political eunuch?

Chances are they are a Millennial.

What's entertaining though is the notion that being "a-political" will somehow thwart the consequences of bad politics. Choosing to be in a vegetative state is delusion. (And if someone is tempted to say "sounds like a climate change denier", sorry; that dog won't hunt. Take your boring screenplay somewhere else.)

Chuck,
    I would ask that you use discernment with this thread. If someone throws down and crosses an "objective" line, get out your red pen. But don't shut down the thread. Tempered civil discourse is a wonderful thing.

Denying that there are "sides" is a fool's errand. Proselytizing for one's side is what should raise eyebrows.

member #1515
    If this is the greatest country, how come we think the greatest car is German?
    How's that for bringing it back on topic?
    But in all seriousness, why are the best cars Italian or German, or even English? There was a golden age of the American automobile, but it seems to have been pre-WW2.
    After that we became obsessed with not how good, but how many could be cranked out.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Save the Planet

. . . 'Old cars are dirtier than the new ones' . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    . . . Is this really about the Paris Agreement or more to do with the fact that they are unable to manufacture any 1/2 decent vehicles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...vehicles-2040/ . . .

I love old cars. Prolly has more to do with me than them ---- but old cars are somehow more 'understandable' for me . . . analog vs digital?

Maybe

But 'dirtier'? Outta the tailpipe = maybe . . . at cold-start/idle, anyway --- but consider . . .

What does it take to make + build a brand-new 'clean' car? . . .

. . . the machines + people to mine + process the raw materials --- + the real estate/environment that gets chewed-up doing it . . .

. . . the capital + energy to transport/refine/process those materials --- and the electricity + fuel to accomplish that . . .

. . . the number of people involved in all of this --- and the resources + fuel it takes for them to get to + from work, 50 weeks/year

To put it another way . . .

. . . how much comes out of my old car's tail pipe?

. . . vs . . .

. . . all the tail pipes --- of all the trucks + all the ships + locomotives + buses + power-plants . . . all the gas-powered hardware that it takes to build all those 'clean-clean' cars

Wanna save the planet? . . .

. . . buy an old car, I say

We Can Be Heroes

I like old and new Porsche cars.

But, I am looking for a well-restored C2 Corvette (1963-1967). It's the best American car that was ever made.

Doc
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

This thread's a mess
    Rick,, I think this is what u were after in your #10 post
    Mark
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tprint-new-car