Thread: Differences/changes on vinyl seat covers on comfort seats?

Differences/changes on vinyl seat covers on comfort seats?

I've got a 1968 car that's unrestored but the seat covers are badly worn. I really don't want to put newly upholstered seats in the car as they'll stand out like a sore thumb.

I also have a set of very original 1970 comfort seats I'm not using and I've been coveting that vintage vinyl.

I'm aware of the differences over the years to bases/hinges/etc for the standard comfort seats. But what about the seat covers? The vinyl material looks to be spot-on when comparing the 68 and 72 seats, but are the covers cut differently? Could I just remove the seat covers from the 70 seats and install them on my 68 seats? Or would they need to be recut to fit the 68 seats. To my eyes, the 68 seats appear slimmer but it could just be the deterioration of the padding.

Help is appreciated like always.

They changed the seats in 1968. First they added the locker to the driver tilt, but then with the seat belt revisions and headrest requirements by the DOT all cars got a seat that had an integrated headrest. When they went to those seats the shape of the seat changed, they got deeper and slimmer and the patterns are different.

This deeper and slimmer design went forward from then so the patterns should be the same up to 71. On the 72 vinyl they went to a courser grain so I don't think any of those covers would be right. I believe the patterns are the same with the new 68 seats up to 73 as the seat frames/springs were mostly the same, check with an upholstery shop to see if they have other patterns for LWB but I doubt it.

So the early 68 cars could have a SWB shape seat, headrests that bolt on the rear if they had head rests and SWB hinges with a driver tilt locker.

The rest of 68 got deep shaped seats, integrated "safety headrests", new SWB hinges with a integrated black plastic release for the tilt - still 3 screws - only the LWB did they switch to 2 screws. So this seat is a rare one year only seat.

One last thing, where did people get this term "comfort seat". Until a couple years ago I have never heard of this language. Shouldn't they be called standard seats? That is what I have always called them. Comfort sounds like some option you would pick and may have originated from a used parts seller trying jaz up their sales pitch. Now everyone has "comfort seats" for sale and they are not comfortable, they are just the base standard part you would get if you didn't order something special. Ok I am getting off the wooden box now.