Thread: Help- removing glass from vent frame

Help- removing glass from vent frame

Guys
    Took apart door frame for targa ....it had been painted black and getting back to original .
    All part just fine but the bent glass had been caulked in frame by PO ...tried some solvent to loosen.
    No luck ...any great ideas for dissolving the black gasket seal for glass removal.
    Thanks for assistance
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

I might suggest a razor blade to 'cut out' the gasket making a horizontal then vertical slice (new razor blade for each cut) rather than trying to dissolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Guys
    Took apart door frame for targa ....it had been painted black and getting back to original .
    All part just fine but the bent glass had been caulked in frame by PO ...tried some solvent to loosen.
    No luck ...any great ideas for dissolving the black gasket seal for glass removal.
    Thanks for assistance
    Frank
    Frank

That operation is EASY as pie.
    I saw your post and the suggestions. I'm not suggesting anything. I'll show you how to do it, though.
    These pictures were taken just a few minutes ago, cause I had nothing better to do than take apart a POS Targa vent assy..
    Just get a heat gun (a hair dryer would probably work) Heat the frame and glass, stick a screw driver between the glass and the frame and gently (I pry the heck out of it, but do as I say, not as I do) pry the glass out of the frame. I've done it 100s of times and have yet to damage a frame or break a vent glass. Most of the time I don't bother with the heat gun but it does make it much easier.

Picture #1...................Required tools (notice the nail and the BFH used to drive the roll pin out of the vent wing latch)
    Picture #2...................The roll pin half way out. I use the diagonal cutters to pull it the rest of the way
    Picture #3...................Prying the glass out of the frame with a $2.00 screw driver
    Picture #4...................Mission accomplished. Total time from start to finish.............5 minutes.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Likin' the EASY reference in the instructions!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Likin' the EASY reference in the instructions!
    Pardon me for the shameless self promotion

Ciao

Jim

Jim
    Jim ...Your such a great responder .....I did heat frame (torch hot enough to burn raw skin ) and used a razor blade pushed into full depth around frame.
    BUT.....did not want to try screw driver ...yes thought about it but now that you have confirmed success will use screw driver and report back.
    The issue is he did not used gasket he used the black 3M for weather striping body seals .
    Thanks all for good info back soon
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Name:  IMG_3468.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_3469.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  82.5 KBJim was spot on....used very thin spatula ,medium spatula, razor blade and hammer.
    So used hammer to run the very thin spatula all along the length as caulk built up used razor blade to remove and continue.
    Screw driver work best at the ends of frame with light taps to get into the edge of glass and frame .
    Then pry and pull and continue process.
    Note the buildup of black caulk and corner.
    Yeah it's out ...onto the next side.

Jim takes bough...
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

I have had success with a different way that takes a bit longer but reduced my paranoia about (another) glass breakage
    1) Thick latex or vinyl gloves
    2) Can of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)
    3) tray that the window will fit into
    4) place window in tray in a well ventilated area, fill until MEK covers window.
    5) Aspirin or Ibuprofen for the headache that breathing MEK might cause.
    let soak and most every resin or adhesive will disintegrate within a day.
    Then pull the pieces apart. I think the paint will have come off too.
    "Fahr drauf, bremsen ist feige!"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat (apologies to any cat owners that find this offensive)

Ciao

Jim