Thread: Build Date for MY 1970 911T

Build Date for MY 1970 911T

Can someone assist in determining the build date for my 1970 911T. As is the norm these days the COA from Porsche does not include the build date. The car does not have a sticker in the driver's door jamb. My VIN is 9110122377 and imprinted into the dash under the knee pad is 120313 7. Any information is appreciated and best regards to all. Steve

I can't offer the specific build date but could help narrow it down.
    1970 model year Karmann built T's had serial numbers starting at 91101200001 and ending ~9110124126.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Thanks Doug. It is a Karmann coupe. I thought the number behind the knee pad had some reference to the build date. That would be too easy. Thanks again.

Before COAs, way before.....we would look at the Bosch parts for dates and the build date would be apparent....
    I would start with the clock then the other easy to get to Bosch parts...and the wheels.....etc. You will find there are many dated parts on the cars.
    Why do you want to know?
    The COA is usually pretty close. Also the (USA) 70 911s came with a door sticker for DOT with a very accurate build date.
    HTH
    H

That number, 1203137 is what is called the production number. It does not give you the precise date but can assist in helping determine how far through the model year it was built. But in the absence of a date from Porsche the next best thing is to see if you can find the production date of a similar vin number Karmann bodied car.
    Your production number can be translated as 1 for a production 911; 2 for a karmann coupe; 0 for 1970 MY; and 3137 as the series number of all karmann coupes produced in the 1970 MY. It is a little easier to tie down a karmann body series than a Porsche body one as they only built 4793 coupes in 1970 MY and most were T's (4126 T's and 667 E's)
    So yours was the 3137th out of 4793 Karmann Coupes produced in the 1970 MY, or roughly two thirds of the way through the production year, assuming that the (small number of) E's were produced roughly in line with the T's.
    I dont have any production dates of 1970 Karmann T's in my database but based on this I would guess that your car was a March / April 1970 build
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks for the suggestions Harvey. As I said before the COA did not have the production completion date as it said "information not available". The vehicle also does not have a USA DOT sticker on the door lock post although the paint is original 1970 Sepia. Hugh thanks for taking the time giving me the low down on the info on the production number and best guess production date. Much appreciated and best regards. Steve