Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else noticed that Photobucket is ruining our forums?

Oh how many ways they would have had to actually turn this into a money-making opportunity, rather than probably just disappearing into oblivion in just a few weeks' time.
    The majority of people I know (including me) use photo-bucket 10 to 20 times a year for maybe up to 100 pictures. How these guys think that a flat rate would be a good idea is beyond me...
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I'm OK with paying for a service as long as the cost/benefit balance adds up and is reasonable. $399 is not reasonable.
    I especially don't want to be extorted so I'll take all of my stuff out of the bucket.

Coming from a tech company past, I think they have made a huge blunder. This could end them if everyone follows suit. Im not sure of their financial position but if one in 5 leaves they are done for

It used to be free, after a while you use it free, they say unless you pay now, they delete all content.
    Same goes for imagshak.

When I started in 2005 uploading pictures, i was active in about 4 or 5 international forums and this is the reason why one single host was the best way to host pictures.
    Back then it was just the start of forums, nobody thought the pics later got deleted again and nowhere this info was given to users.
    Registry member No.773

Our forums are ruined by lack of new content; by pointless discussions on esoteric points often not even understandable for the non initiated (e.g. to specific SoCal idiosyncrasies ) ; by a general tiredness of the old chaps ... don't think the support matters so much ... if I look at the ESR page on facebook I'd not think it would never be comparable to the goldmine of infos and trivia you can find here. It's up to us to keep it alive.

Ciao. M.
    Last edited by Biancaneve; 07-07-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: some esoteric mistake ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    Our forums are ruined by lack of new content; by pointless discussions on esoteric points not often not even understandable for the non initiated (e.g. to specific SoCal idiosyncrasies ) ; by a general tiredness of the old chaps ... don't think the support matters so much ... if I look at the ESR page on facebook I'd not think it would never be comparable to the goldmine of infos and trivia you can find it here. It's up to us to keep it alive.

Ciao. M.
    If you have any suggestions on our FB page, I'm all ears! Remember that FB is a completely different animal than a discussion board. I still like suggestions, though!!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    If you have any suggestions on our FB page, I'm all ears! Remember that FB is a completely different animal than a discussion board. I still like suggestions, though!!
    Hi Peter, as you said, FB is a completely different animal ... my point is that it cannot (so far) replace a board like that due to structural issue ... it is not conceived as a fully fledged forum page and it will stay that way, at least until a major refurbishment in the way FB communities are structured is implemented ... but I'm not to give ideas to Mr Zuchemberger for free ...

You're doing well with ESR FB page, it works the way a page FB should ... lots of pics and quick replacement of the subject with a new one together with very poor visibility on the archives and sloppy search functionalities. I myself manage a FB group and a page (totally unrelated to cars ) with some tenth of thousands members and I know something about the pitfalls of this social media.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Talk about esoteric. What the F--- is an FB page. Should I care. Am I already FB'd?

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    ...they say unless you pay now, they delete all content.
    Surprised they haven't demanded payment in the virtual currency Bitcoin. Isn't that the usual way these days?

I am FB'd. My daughter jut introduced me to the wonders of social media. Hard to accept "social" when I am inherently anti-social. Found the first owner of my 912 Targa (not the 911 Targa) on Facebook. Can't get him to answer or friend (?) me. Is Face Book a good place for my '67 Targa list? Identified close to 140 so far. Any suggestions or contributions appreciated