Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carpoint vs Porsche door pockets 69-73

Carpoint vs Porsche door pockets 69-73

Hoping somebody can chime in on the quality/fitment of the CarPoint door pockets v. the current Porsche pockets.? The Porsche pockets "should" be better for all the addl $$ they charge (carpoint set is considerably cheaper) but maybe the CarPoint stuff is acceptable.? Not going in a concours car, just want decent looking and functioning pockets that will mount on factory door panels. Any reviews appreciated

I have purchased both within the last several months. In my opinion, the Porsche stuff is worth the money. It looks like others agree because Porsche is frequently out of these parts.

Thx Live, is the CarPoint stuff that bad.? Fully agree that the Porsche stuff is better, but man, the price for them is more than I paid for the car, lol. Just need something that looks "decent" and somewhat functions, not like I will be using them much, or the car for that matter. Thx again for the input

No. The CarPoint stuff isn't bad at all. It's just the Porsche stuff is better. Little details, really. The new Porsche door pockets are maybe the best classic part they currently sell IMHO. Very close to original. But if you're not a fanatic about details most people won't notice anyway, the CarPoint stuff is more than fine.

I saw another set being sold at the Lit Show last year that was nice as well. I think it was Sierra Madre. Or maybe Stoddard.

How do the Lakewell ones compare to Porsche. Lakewell state OEM. I bought a new dashboard from Lakewell, which is great.

http://www.lakewell.com/de/porsche/9...-911-69-74-oem

Quote Originally Posted by PMNorris View Post
    How do the Lakewell ones compare to Porsche. Lakewell state OEM. I bought a new dashboard from Lakewell, which is great.

http://www.lakewell.com/de/porsche/9...-911-69-74-oem
    I agree on the Lakewell dash. Very nice.

Proceed carefully on the door pockets. I ordered their upper door rails which they also state are "remanufactured to exact OEM specifications" and that turned out not to be true. They were almost laughably bad.

I read somewhere - on pelican, I think - that Porsche Classic don't actually make much of the stuff they sell. They use the same oem suppliers as all of the other parts retailers. They must "cherry pick" the quality, though. I bought some OEM mirrors a couple of years ago from Pelican for my 72 and they litteraly fell apart. I ended up replacing one of them with a Posche one and they were like "chalk and cheese". Worth it even at double the price.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    No. The CarPoint stuff isn't bad at all. It's just the Porsche stuff is better. Little details, really. The new Porsche door pockets are maybe the best classic part they currently sell IMHO. Very close to original. But if you're not a fanatic about details most people won't notice anyway, the CarPoint stuff is more than fine.

I saw another set being sold at the Lit Show last year that was nice as well. I think it was Sierra Madre. Or maybe Stoddard.
    Im going through this headache now. The Porsche folding pockets are nice, nut way to long, sticking out past the arm rest and in one, gouging the B-pillar vinyl. I am seeking a better fitting folding pocket. Whoever measured the Porsche ones is way off.

I have considered Lakewell and Sierra Madre but based on the following, I believe they are from the same manufacturer.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Porsche was too so Im seeking obervations on fit of pocket with arm rests for those who have Lakewell/Sierra Madre installed. Photos would be nice. Thanks.

From their respective websites:

Lakewell door pockets- sell 4 only
    http://www.lakewell.com/en/porsche/9...-911-69-73-oem

Complete set of 4 door pockets for Porsche 911 ’69-‘73, remanufactured to exact OEM specifications. The kit includes 2 map pockets (front) and 2 tilting pockets (rear), all beautifully engineered and finished to a very high quality. A must to finish your 100-point restoration.
    Our ready-to-install door pockets are probably the best you can buy for originality and fit. The tool to mould and cast the door pockets was developed using 3-D scanning on NOS door pockets. The door pockets have a fiberglass rather than cardboard substructure, which guarantees durable structural integrity and water resistance. Grain and gloss of the vynil surface coat have been optimised to match the typical patina found on the arm rest and door caps of ’69-’73 models. The edges are finished with the original polished and anodised aluminum strips with the correct diamond shaped insert. The inside of the doorpoockets are lined with velvet flocking just like the original. The front pockets have the original rubber molded strip on top.
    All reinforcements, slide bolts, fasteners and fittings are like the original. We guarantee a factory authentic appearance and fit.

Sierra Madre- sell 4 only
    https://sierramadrecollection.com/91...73-p20296.html

(Description would be plagiarism in the publishing world)

Complete set of 4 door pockets for Porsche 911 (1969-1973) and 912 (1969) models. The kit includes 2 map pockets (front) and 2 tilting pockets (rear), all beautifully engineered and finished to a very high quality. A must to finish your 100-point restoration.

Our ready-to-install door pockets are probably the best you can buy for originality and fit. The tool to mould and cast the door pockets was developed using 3-D scanning on NOS door pockets. The door pockets have a fiberglass rather than cardboard substructure, which guarantees durable structural integrity and water resistance. Grain and gloss of the vinyl surface coat have been optimised to match the typical patina found on the arm rest and door caps. The edges are finished with the original polished and anodised aluminum strips with the correct diamond shaped insert. The inside of the door pockets are lined with velvet flocking just like the original. The front pockets have the original rubber molded strip on top.

All reinforcements, slide bolts, fasteners and fittings are like the original. We guarantee a factory authentic appearance and fit. Installation requires no specific tools and is within the ability of a moderately experienced home mechanic. Installation kit is included (4 elastic bands, 16 small conic bolts (M4), 16 rivets and 8 plastic hinges).
    Zed

The SM pockets you reference aren't very good. I just bought a set and the top rails are terrible. I believe these are the same as the Lakewell pockets.

I've installed 2 sets of the Porsche Classic pockets this year and the fit was perfect. Did you buy yours from the dealer?

FYI... the current CarPoint pockets aren't very good either. They're formed plastic and not even vinyl covered. The rails are pretty good though.

I'm going to do some research on these next week at the Lit Show.

Hi John

How did your research on this topic go?

2 of us are in need of pockets so checking which way you think we should go neither car will be concourse but
    both of us like original fitment.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6