Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition key sticks 'on'.... '67 911S

Ignition key sticks 'on'.... '67 911S

Hello, my ignition key sticks so that unless you turn it back/ counterclockwise after it starts then the starter stays engaged. Not a pretty sight/ Sound.

Can I change out the ignition 'key system' while retaining the same key? And any recommendations on how to change it out and where to buy the proper replacement?

Thanks!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Talk to the guys at Broadway Lock in Seattle. They are very familiar with Porsche parts. If it can be fixed, they can do it. If not, they could probably rekey a different ignition switch to match your keys. Let me know if need another switch as I might have one.
    Last edited by endo911rs; 07-13-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I recently had a similar problem with my 66 911. Having graduated from "first seek the simplest solution to the problem" school of automotive repair, I disconnected the battery and sprayed some WD-40 into the key opening and worked the key back and forth a few times. Problem appears to be gone for now. Not sure it will work for you, but worth a try
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    I recently had a similar problem with my 66 911. Having graduated from "first seek the simplest solution to the problem" school of automotive repair, I disconnected the battery and sprayed some WD-40 into the key opening and worked the key back and forth a few times. Problem appears to be gone for now. Not sure it will work for you, but worth a try
    I always heard, no petroleum products on lock/key sets as it will stay wet and attract dirt/dust. Graphite with a carrier that will evaporate is what I use.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

I got some lock oil and no luck with the easy fix. Can anyone walk me through taking the ignition /system out of the car to get it repaired? I see in the parts manual there are 2 different types: Mine has what looks to be a locking bar going to the steering wheel but, as a 1967, never had the locking mechanism (I believe from other cars that that came in in 1968 for USA cars). Mine is a very, very late 1967 model year so perhaps they started using that part earlier? Stranger, is that when I put my hand up under the dash I can feel the bar running to the right; but when I screw #15 off it looks like the second image (bottom one)?

Anyway, can anyone tell me, or point me somewhere online, to figure out how to remove it? Thanks. GregName:  ignition 911.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  61.6 KB

Why not send the switch to "Tweets Restorations" They recently posted pictures of their work here on the registry. Very impressive!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'd love to but can't figure out how to remove it so I can! ; > )

Greg

If yours looks like the bottom picture, then just remove the large single nut, if like the top one then you'll have to remove two "breakaway screws". On those the head is designed to break off when final torque is achieved to make it harder for thieves to remove and thus steal your car. Since the head is gone you have to use a small flat chisel to dig into the screw for removal. But I'm pretty sure you'll have top switch. If your steering doesn't lock when you remove the key and turn the steering wheel you should have the top one.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed... here are few photos... I think I have a hybrid somehow?

Car is July 26, 1967 so extremely late '67 model year (correct?) -- could they have used the ignition system but not installed the steering column with a 'depression' for the lock? The car definitely doesn't have a locking steering wheel. It has that 'funny' centring washer #13 in the diagram above but also the locking bar... should the large single nut be behind the vinyl weaving material?

Confused in Seattle!

Thanks

Greg

Name:  IMG_6276.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  146.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6266.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6261.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  56.9 KB

Remove that plastic ring and peel back the vinyl, should see the two breakaway screws, then follow the locking bar into the steering column, feel on top of that point and you'll feel a screw and lock nut, a 13 wrench will loosen the lock nut, the screw has a Allen end, loosen the screw but DO NOT remove it, only back it far enough to slide out the switch bar. Very hard to restart screw if you remove it. Push switch out through dash hole and pull out from column at same time.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.