Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all ALU engine builders - how many shims for intermediate shaft

Calling all ALU engine builders - how many shims for intermediate shaft

Hi , rebuilding a 1968 's' there was float on the intermediate shelf when crank case was is two parts but now the two halfs are together, float is gone and shaft seems to be too far to. The front of the engine, looks like it will require two gaskets and 10 shims to pack out.

Concern now is this

1. that the shaft is too hard against the crank case
    2. Cam gears will not aline / timing gears chain will wear too fast.

What have others experienced with regard to number of shims ? What is typical? Once the crankcase is closed up should the intermediate shalf still move?

Many thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Rich,

The shims come in the size .10mm-.50mm if you need ten of any of these sizes the shaft is to far forward have you tried pushing it back here is a picture of one I'm finishing up now. Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Rich, the answer is, you measure the intermediate shaft backlash and set it with shims based on the measurement.

You use the P220 special tool for this:

More information here. . . I did this nine years ago like it was yesterday. . .

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...ort-block.html
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    With the cover off, turn crank back and forth, inter shaft should thrust forward and back. Rule out bind and do as 304065 suggests

Where does one get the thin paper gaskets that are used with the shim ? I've made some in the past .

They come in the Wrightwood kit. I would prefer metal for a more repeatable assembly.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Restoration newbie.
    The thin paper gaskets are still available from Porsche. At least I bought some in the last 6 months.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks ajwans . I will try Porsche .

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Here are original metal adjusting shims 901 105 162 00-08, .10-.50. Mostly just singles but a lot of .10's. I just use some glue with metal shims. Others plunge the cover in a mill for clearance. Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

# 2991
    Quote Originally Posted by ajwans View Post
    The thin paper gaskets are still available from Porsche. At least I bought some in the last 6 months.

andy

The gaskets are indeed still available, I got a pair last Monday. Part # 901.105.198.03
    The shims are also still available from Porsche, however only the 0.20mm were in stock in the U.S.A. all the other sizes were in stock in Germany.