Thread: info needed on 911 1965 engine???

info needed on 911 1965 engine???

i need to verify some info before i put the engine up for sale. i would like to give a correct answer when questions are raised.
    following numbers stamped have my attention, please review the date stampings of the case halves. both case halves clearly belong to each other, but the cast date is a month apart. is this common? i was under the impression all cases get casted at the same date? is this something to be concerned about? when selling it, i would like to be on the safe side that it is indeed matched. any real input appreciated.
    regards, H.L.
    Name:  IMG_6231.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  86.6 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]428578Name:  IMG_6225.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  97.5 KBName:  IMG_6238 (1).jpg
Views: 228
Size:  45.1 KBName:  IMG_6239 (1).jpg
Views: 222
Size:  53.9 KBName:  IMG_6232.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  120.0 KBName:  IMG_6242.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  109.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

it looks like one half is 4/1965 and the other is 5/1965?

I would expect that the 339 stamp is the critical reference...experts to chime in...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The mating stamps are the critical ones. The casting dates for various parts can be several months apart on each motor as it left the factory. My crankcase halves are April and June, the heads are Jan and April! All original to motor 902465.

Ian

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    In your top photo, 901/01 is the engine type (everybody knew that) and 2213 is the "build number."

For more on build numbers see the thread: Type 901/xx Engine Build #'s. There's also a thread at Pelican: Third engine ID number stamped on case.

Up through engine # 903581 (and probably later) the build number's 100 less than the last four digits of the engine number (your 902313).

To the best of my knowledge, the matching numbers in your second photo, "mating numbers" or maybe "casting numbers" are the proof that those case halves were intended by the factory to spend their lives bolted together.

Bad News (maybe not that bad, but not really great):

Somewhere along the line, I found a list of engine and chassis numbers from a now defunct website: http://kenik.com/901_info.aspx. It shows that engine # 902330 came in car chassis # 302144 (very early '66 model year).

Some of the early engine features:
    • "6 volt flywheel" (gear tooth modulus 2.5) last engine 901638 (your engine's later)
    • Center lubricated cams last engine 903069 (your engine has them)
    • Solex carburetors second set of jets were engine 900324 to engine 903359 (your engine)

That "6 volt" flywheel's desirability might depend upon the individual looking for an engine for an early car. Even if a "6 volt" flywheel's correct, SR17X starters (if I recall the starter # correctly) with "6 volt" gears are extra hard to find.

----------------------------------------

If you have the Solex carburetors, manifolds, linkages, air cleaner, Pierburg pump, fuel lines, etc. in other boxes that engine's worth a bundle. If not, a buyer would still have to hunt down rare and expensive parts.

By the way, the black fiberglass fan shrouds for these engines are also hard to find. Series 900 in New Hampshire might be a source.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 07-24-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet