Thread: 67s vs. 68s

67s vs. 68s

I have been asked more that a few times what I liked and did not like about these two SWB S's.
    I have owned and driving a lot a 1967 911S and now I have a 1968 911S. Both were very early cars made in the year prior to their model year. I will never say I had a 66S and a 67S with Elephant hide interior. That is just silly. I know it is done but I find that to be boarding on deceitful if not just plain stupid.
    So this is a comparison of those two cars. Also my primary enjoyment with these cars was driving them, not shows, not tracking, not Cars and Coffee, I did that with them but my real enjoyment came in driving and using them as fun road trip cars.
    So.
    Door handles, The 67S handles are more comfortable to use than the 68S
    Gauges, I really like the 67S gauges, the way the early morning light hits the chrome bezels on the early start of a drive is neat.
    the 68S has those same black bezel gauges used so much by Porsche, very usable but boring.
    Interior material, The 68S has that very unique 'Elephant hide' that no other year used and few cars in 68 used, very cool.
    The 67S used 'basket weave' which was unique in 67 but very common after that.
    Door pockets, The 67S door pockets worked better than the 68S and frankly way better that the 69 and later cars.
    The 68 elastic wore out and the pocket would stay open and I would hit my funny bone on it in fast spinning of the wheel. The 67 and earlier never failed, did not hold much but never failed.

Brakes, I really like the dual circuit of the 68S, I never had a problem with the single circuit of the 67S but I worried about it.
    wheels, I like the wider wheels of the 68S, noticeable improvement in the right way.
    window frames. I really like the lighter and one year only uniqueness of the 68S window frames, but liked the look of the 67S
    chrome window frames.
    Valve covers, I like the sand cast 67S valve covers that never leaked, the 68S has those warping mag. ones.

I am sure there are some more differences I can not think of right now. But these are the stand out ones to me.
    The two cars drive and feel the same, wonderful. but these are those little differences that I noticed.
    I can not tell them apart easily looking at them. visually they are very much the same.
    The 68S is of course a much rarer car than a 67S, But 68S's generally seem to sell for less than 67S's?
    Anyways, I hope this is insightful.
    Tucson AZ.

Hi Fritz,

To add a few things:

1. washer bottle type/placement
    2. wiper arm placement
    3. break-a-way interior mirror & paint in lieu of chrome
    4. three point seat belts
    5. normally headrest seats but I know your car has 67 version seats with barrel headrests
    6. sugar-scoop headlights
    7. change in deck lid mid year
    8. two-piece dash
    9. larger size exterior mirrors
    10. rubberized switch knobs
    11. shaved-lip fronet fenders to accommodate the 5.5's

Anything else?

Your early 68S is quite unique & a shinning example of an early VIN 68S! And don't forget all of those special options.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

I dont call my 67S a 66 but 67S and 67 DeLuxe production began earlier than usual for the model year. It seems acceptable to call a 66 model built in 1965 a 65, I dont like that. The 68S was a bad boy forbidden in the US, how cool is that?

Early 68Ss like mine (and perhaps yours) had carryover below door-deco of 67S.

Saying a "68S has..." is pretty tough even to say, as the year was such a transition year. Mag cases later, etc. Of course the 68 is the best year. 😛 But that's just cuz I own one.
    I do like some of the details of the 67, like the gauges, and the simple deco. Jim mentions sugar scoops, but the 68S Euro cars didn't get those, or the bumper over-riders. I think the price difference is simply due to the 67 being "the very first".

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Early 68Ss like mine (and perhaps yours) had carryover below door-deco of 67S.

Saying a "68S has..." is pretty tough even to say, as the year was such a transition year. Mag cases later, etc. Of course the 68 is the best year. �� But that's just cuz I own one.
    I do like some of the details of the 67, like the gauges, and the simple deco. Jim mentions sugar scoops, but the 68S Euro cars didn't get those, or the bumper over-riders. I think the price difference is simply due to the 67 being "the very first".

Scott
    I wasn't sure about the "sugar scoops" but am I right to assume that was the standard delivery headlight?
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

Jim, My car was special ordered with the Sugar scoop headlights as the turn signal lights and flasher switch on the dash etc. But I believe Scott is right a regular 68S would not have them as the 68S was never production built for US sales.
    Tucson AZ.

"I dont call my 67S a 66 but 67S and 67 DeLuxe production began earlier than usual for the model year. It seems acceptable to call a 66 model built in 1965 a 65, I dont like that. The 68S was a bad boy forbidden in the US, how cool is that?"

I agree with you, I think people who call a 1966 model year cars a 65 or really only fooling themselves, most defiantly not 1965 owners.
    Tucson AZ.

I have a 68 911L Euro spec. and the mirror inside is chrome post with black plastic frame for the glass. I also thought all 68 cars had painted mirror's Then at the Rennsport 5 saw the Gold 911R and it had the chrome mirror. Now every once in a while, I will see a 68 with a chrome mirror, but see more with the painted ones. BTW my car also has Elephant hide and aluminum case as it is a very low 300's vin number. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue