Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound insulation in my 1969 911 E

Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    Credit to you Irogacs, I think your solution is very well executed.
    Thank you Chris

Reviving this old thread. Does anyone know of a source for this felt material, or something comparable? Thanks

I have a few of these original panels that I saved. PM me with your email if you have any interest.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I have these original panels. PM me if you have any interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by geshaghi View Post
    Reviving this old thread. Does anyone know of a source for this felt material, or something comparable? Thanks
    https://www.stoddard.com/porsche-911...nsulation.html
    or a full set:
    https://sierramadrecollection.com/in...73-p32127.html

If you are not trying to stay close to original materials, and want effective sound insulation, then get the best modern stuff:

25% flat panel coverage using a sound dampener such as Dynomat or Damplifier Pro. Full coverage is unnecessary -- you are just trying to prevent flat panels from vibrating.
    100% coverage (rear deck, seats, floors) using MLV + Sound deadener, such as Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro. This stuff is amazing if you really want to cut down road and engine noise.

Good explanation here on sound in the car. https://www.secondskinaudio.com/soun...ulation-guide/
    Last edited by TheTorch; 05-17-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added SM
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

I used the 3M 0884 product. See here. https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...light=adhesive
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Thanks guys. The 3M product is what I’ll use on the inside of the floor and firewall. In 69, it looks like the factory used a cotton or jute felt that was bonded to a rubber layer for the parcel shelf and rear seat area, similar to what was used in SWB cars, like that shown by original poster of this thread. I haven’t been able to find a source for this felt. I may try the sound insulation offered by my friends at Sierra Madre Collection.

I used the 3M product on the floor only. The original factory jute/rubber/tar coverings were reinstalled over the rear seat pan and parcel shelf after they were removed during blasting and paint. We did not blast the inside or repaint it. It was in excellent condition. Note the hex pattern on the original floor pan coating. This too was scraped off to check for rust and the 3M product replaced it. The grunge you see is just glue from the original mouse urine soaked interior carpeting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK