Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Garage Floor Painting

Budget Garage Floor Painting

Finally got my own place last year. Been fixing/painting/decorating/furnishing for most of the time since --- got things cozy-enough to have Zovig over. Rest of my house-keeping 's under control enough to where I can finally get going on The One Thing that I've been jones'ing for since I bought the place . . .

. . . The Garage

Budget = ~$1k

May not sound like much but what 'll make the garage interesting won't be the architecture, my color or material choices, or the finances I commit. This'll be a repository for all the stuff that I've picked-up over the years that doesn't quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite fit in a regularly-viewable socially-acceptable domestic situation . . .

. . . in other words --- this'll be where all my junk lands

Anyway . .

Step 1 . . . = clear the joint
    I've had most of my stuff in various boxes + locations for the past 8 years, so this part wasn't as tough for me as it could be for others. Biggest issue was where to put what little (ha!) I brought with me someplace outta the way. I settled on (what will be, eventually/hopefully/someday) my laundry room. And part of my kitchen. And-uh . . . two upstairs bedrooms

This is what was left after a couple week-ends of humpin' boxes up the stairs. Still took me a coupla days to get this little bit o'stuff sorted/placed/moved

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

is that an e30????

Quote Originally Posted by 70tangerine View Post
    . . . is that an e30???? . . .
    You bet! . . .

. . . reliable, economical, cheap-to-keep . . .

. . . hauls stuff, too

Couldn't done this job without 'er. Great little shopping-cart

We Can Be Heroes

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

What's your dimensions? I'm thinking about trying to convince the wife into letting me build a 40X40 detached.
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianroher View Post
    . . . What's your dimensions? . . .
    Jeez --- you're gonna actually make me go out + measure this, aren't ya? . . . hang-on . . .

20' 7" wide, 21' 7" deep

Figure it'll take ~4 gal/2 coats/7 days to do

. . . thinking about trying to convince the wife into letting me build a 40X40 detached . . .
    1600 sqft --- holy shyte! . . . makin' me feel inferior, here, Seb. 'At's bigger than my whole Nasty House! All I can say is --- if you build something that big . . . then you're gonna start puttin' stuff in it. Which means if you ever move? . . .

And as far as The Wifey-thing goes --- if she can put on a mask + gloves and get next to you to help scrape 40-some-year-old toxic waste off your car? . . . I'd say 'easy sell'

Just be sure to throw in a trip to Bali or something shiny/important/heart-felt after, K? . . .

. . . unless she makes ya sleep in it . . .

. . . alone

We Can Be Heroes

When it came to clearing everything out --- it wasn't just my 'stuff' that needed dealing with. On-no --- I didn't get off quite that easy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . need to get my garage set-up . . .

. . . Problem is I got these godzilla garage racks cluttering up one side . . .

. . . about 200 lbs of the Flintstone Kunstruction Kumpany's misdeeds in my garage to dismantle + dispose of . . . juuuuust to get started . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 08-08-2017 at 07:15 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    When it came to clearing everything out --- it wasn't 'stuff' that needed dealing with. On-no --- I didn't get off quite that easy . . .

Looks like quite the project there Rick. Why didn't you have seller remove them when you closed?

Yeah I've accumulated a few cars over the years plus I want to have a lift installed and who knows. Maybe put in a mini apt upstairs in case I ever have to sleep there
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Semi-demo

. . . Looks like quite the project there Rick. Why didn't you have seller remove them when you closed? . . .
    Honestly? --- when I bought the place? . . . I was happy just to have my own garage, again. Yeah-yeah --- the shelves weren't exactly what I would've wanted, but, like the floor paint . . . I thought I could 'make it work'

That didn't last. Floor paint was sketchy, pretty-much from the start. And the shelving was sturdy enough (like, WAY) but just not enough shelves. And those that were there were spaced to tall for the kinda stuff that I store. Then, when I saw how really-cheesy the floor paint was --- I mean, it was coming off on me, even (!), well . . .

. . . that was it. This stuff has to go. Racks, floors, whatever --- ALL of it

Easier said than done. Whoever put these shelves up went over-the-top when it came to construction. I musta pulled-out ~5 pounds of just screws + bolts when I taking down all this mess --- including some 6-inch lag bolts that necessitated the services of an impact wrench to rip 'em outta the walls. Piled everything up --- all ~200-some-pounds-worth . . . in the side yard

Kinda dreaded this part, but once I got the impact, it was easy. Still took the better part of a day for me to reasonably/carefully dis-assemble all this . . .

. . . but reeeaaal satisfying to see the space clear, finally

Last edited by LongRanger; 08-09-2017 at 12:01 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Nice! Just think about how much room you're going to have now! I have converted my full un-finished basement into my temporary garage. I just know that it fills up quicker/easier than you realize. Kinda why I wanted to do such a large detached (plus I want a lift.)
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28