Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct Finish on '71S Heat Exchangers/Exhaust?

Correct Finish on '71S Heat Exchangers/Exhaust?

Hi Guys,
    I have a '71S that has the original exhaust/heat exchangers & I'm wanting to make them look 100% original.
    What would make the concourse judges happy? Right now I'had them bead-blasted (glass bead)... which cleaned them up very nice. I know they will rust like mutha, if I leave them as they are. Even giving them a light coat of
    oil may save them rusting for a while, but not what would be the best, I'd bet.
    Who has the answer to what would past the test of a picky judge? (besides finding a nonexistent NOS pair).
    lol
    Also... the bottom of my tri-pipe area has not-so-good looking "pit-marks" from rust that was on them. Not sure if Jet-coating is the thing to do? I don't want to waste the time or money if it doesn't turn out looking correct as possible (read: VERY acceptable looking). It's a '71S with 42K miles, so trying to make the exchanger/exhaust look MUCH better than it does... but at the same time, look like they had never been touched. Maybe I'm asking the impossible? ;o)
    Thanks much for any advice one of you pros can give me.
    Best,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll suggest ceramic coating...
    It will let you the possibility to choose the right color and it will not rust in a hear or two.

factory painted them in a very light grey but ceramic is definately the way to go
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Based on factory assembly line photos the muffler and heater boxes had a satin-like metallic finish. VHT dull aluminum exhaust paint is very close and budget friendly. As far a ceramics go Jet Hot is expensive and inconvenient due to their shipping requirements unless you have a franchise close. Another ceramic is Cerakote. It is offered by a lot of powder coaters and is more cost effective....they have a dull silver finish that is virtually identical to the VHT.....and factory photos.

A lot of concours people, me included, used to use the flat grey from Wurth, VHT, or Stoddard, but factory photos refute the flat grey.....it was a satin metallic finish that reflected light, most likely an aluminized industrial finish.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Depends if its a question of money - while cheap nothing I ever tried out of a rattle can stopped them rusting - sure its heat proof but it seems moot of you have to continually respray them. Not cheap, I have had ceramic coated exhausts for 10 years or more and they still look as good as the day they were done.

If you have rust pitting som time may need to be spent detailing this "sanding out/blending as neither sytem will hide.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

+1 on the ceramic coating.
    I know you want to keep the original exchangers, but when I restored my 71 S, I bought the stainless steel exchangers. They look great......and will look great forever.
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1959 Austin-Healey Sprite
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2001 Mazda Miata 'Daughters Car'
    2008 Audi S6
    2018 Panamera 4S 'Wife's Car'

Quote Originally Posted by Orange71S View Post
    When I restored my 71 S, I bought the stainless steel exchangers. They look great......and will look great forever.
    Jay
    Not to hijack ... but ...
    Someone has reported the stainless heat exchangers sounds different from originals ... Can you please comment about ?

I agree with Nickm's approach .. If an original piece can be saved it should just be saved and not replaced/upgraded ... al least if we're talking about restoration

Interesting.....
    I don't know if they sound different from stock exchangers, but they sound fantastic. Especially above 5000 rpm!
    I purchased the stainless steel type because mine were not usable. My 71 S also has the original stainless steel muffler, so it was as easy decision to just make the whole exhaust stainless steel.
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2008 Audi S6
    2018 Panamera 4S 'Wife's Car'

Glad to know you 're happy with stainless exchangers ... and that you haven't found sounding differences ...
    Just one question to ... have you ceramic coated them or not ?
    I imagine stainless exchangers look different from factory exchangers...

Nope. There is no reason to coat them.
    I think stainless steel exchangers were an option, anyway.
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q